Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it may have been Woody or Mike that onced asked me why I didn't have a mal since my love of crazy, terrier type attitudes.
Guess what I did today? :D :D :D :D :D
My TD called and said he had just rescued a litter of 12 week old Mals. He said their background is from the Netherlands (not sure of the breeding yet) and they are UKC registered. The breeder had spent a lot of research and money on the parents but between a early (sire is less then a year) breeding and a divorce, his dreams falling apart.
He and I have been talking about training detection dogs for over a years now. Guess it's gonna happen cause I've now got a Mal pup.
He's not a sport crazy kinda dog but has really nice drives for a toy and wants to bite anything waived in front of him.
I've been blessed with the wife I have cause all she did when I walked in the house with a new pup was laugh and shake her head. [-o< :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Bob Scott said:
I think it may have been Woody or Mike that onced asked me why I didn't have a mal since my love of crazy, terrier type attitudes.
Guess what I did today? :D :D :D :D :D
My TD called and said he had just rescued a litter of 12 week old Mals. He said their background is from the Netherlands (not sure of the breeding yet) and they are UKC registered. The breeder had spent a lot of research and money on the parents but between a early (sire is less then a year) breeding and a divorce, his dreams falling apart.
He and I have been talking about training detection dogs for over a years now. Guess it's gonna happen cause I've now got a Mal pup.
He's not a sport crazy kinda dog but has really nice drives for a toy and wants to bite anything waived in front of him.
I've been blessed with the wife I have cause all she did when I walked in the house with a new pup was laugh and shake her head. [-o< :D :D :D
WOW! WONDERFUL!

What is his name? Pictures yet?

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Ahhh yes, the GSD on acid. The malinut, maligater, malanoid of dogs. Good luck with him. I'm not a big fan of the Mal, although I have several. One does have to recognize their work ethic.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
you´ve the greatest wife ever :lol: 8)

But maybe Carmen, Inge, Hilary or I can help you with the pedigree of the parents?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
QUOTE DAVID:"I'm not a big fan of the Mal, although I have several. One does have to recognize their work ethic. "

(And a big hush falls over the crowd....)

Really? :(

Our SP here in CT won't even use them. (Can't say that I blame them after they saw Riot...ha!). They give various reasons for not using them - handler aggression issues being their biggest.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No name yet. This just all took place in the last 3-4 hours.
He doesn't seem to be off the wall as many are. Then again, he's been taken from his litter, tossed in a crate in a pickup and landed in my house, all within a few hours. I took him out in the yard and he refused to go down the open back deck steps (8) for a min or two but got over those really fast. He also went crazy chasing the hose when I went to water the shade garden.
He also doesn't have a face that looks like a possum that so many Mals do. :lol:
Selena, when I get the info I'll be definately looking for info from you. :wink:
I have a week or so to make up my mind about keeping him.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
You given up on that Presa already?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woody, as you saw Saturday, a few of the Presa pups have the ability to really focus on a handler. Athena isn't at the top of that group. I've been discussing this with her breeder the last few weeks. This new pup just may be the right time to make the change. These are all things agreed to at the start of the Presa training. I'll discuss this with the breeder and the TD within the next week.
The breeder has a male that she tried to work last year. Started off nicely but eventually the lack of pack drive, bonding, whatever you want to call it, came forth. The smallest pups (8wks) you saw Sat have that something we haven't seen in the others.
This is the one down side of motivational training. You have to have something the dog really wants. At 4 months, Athena's independent nature is really starting to surface.
As a low prey, highly defensive breed, selecting a Presa for this type of training is quite an ordeal.

·
Registered
635 Posts
First off let me congratulate you....

on your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done! You must be doing something right...which motivational training techniques are you using? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Secondly, you must have a Mal with a full Mal personality to FULLY ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE :? :? I hope you have one!

And third, many years ago I trained a friend's three Presas, and subsequently his Presa / Am Bulldog mix, and all responded well...started with food while puppies, and quickly moving on to just praise. No handler FOCUS, but certainly good handler awareness. I think molosser type dogs do better if you REALLY WORK on the bond, without being a puss about it. You must demand their potential, but being careful, because they develop late.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andres Martin said:
First off let me congratulate you....

on your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done! You must be doing something right...which motivational training techniques are you using? :wink: :wink: :wink:

Secondly, you must have a Mal with a full Mal personality to FULLY ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE :? :? I hope you have one!

And third, many years ago I trained a friend's three Presas, and subsequently his Presa / Am Bulldog mix, and all responded well...started with food while puppies, and quickly moving on to just praise. No handler FOCUS, but certainly good handler awareness. I think molosser type dogs do better if you REALLY WORK on the bond, without being a puss about it. You must demand their potential, but being careful, because they develop late.
Andres, some techniques are just a little hard to describe here, but I will be very happily married 39yrs in September so some of them must be working, :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D :D
The maturing late is an understatement! This is my first expierience with one of the molossers. I'm sure hoping I can figure a way to make this work. The biggest problem for me is a small yard and limited dog space.
I can only use good motivational technique just so far with my wonderful wife. I'm gittin old ya know! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol: :lol: Thanks for that bit of wisdom Jeff! :lol: :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Where is my free Mal, Dammit!!! :lol:
Yeah, that's what I wanna know too! :lol: Welcome to the club, Bob! 8) Not that I really need to deal with another Maligator at the moment...Zoso's just starting to calm down a teeny tiny little bit. Let me enjoy it for a little while...with all the peer pressure in our club trying to get my fiance to get his own dog to train so he can get that perspective as a helper, I'm not sure how long we'll last. Future hubby wants a Great Dane though. Any chance of any sport trained Danes out there? :wink: :D

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Maren Bell said:
..... Any chance of any sport trained Danes out there? :wink: :D
Well, you won't believe this, but I was just reading about
ScooterDogs, and a trainer whose Great Dane helps her
with her pulling clinic.

I swear.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maren Bell said:
Where is my free Mal, Dammit!!! :lol:
Yeah, that's what I wanna know too! :lol: Welcome to the club, Bob! 8) Not that I really need to deal with another Maligator at the moment...Zoso's just starting to calm down a teeny tiny little bit. Let me enjoy it for a little while...with all the peer pressure in our club trying to get my fiance to get his own dog to train so he can get that perspective as a helper, I'm not sure how long we'll last. Future hubby wants a Great Dane though. Any chance of any sport trained Danes out there? :wink: :D
Scooby Do seems to have it all together. You could hope for a movie career. :D :D :wink:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
<<< Scooby Do seems to have it all together. You could hope
for a movie career. >>>>

OMG, he IS a Great Dane, isn't he?!

I love the way he says "Ruh-Roh."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts