Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
People lurk for numerous reasons. Among them are: they aren't confident enough in their ability to feel they can add to the conversation. They honestly use it as a learning experience. Sometimes regular posters can be a bit insensitive. While regular poster expect it and it doesn't bother them, a new poster doesn't want the hassle. Some, I'm sure just like to read what's going on. Some don't want to be the first to disagre or they don't want to join the "yes, that's right" wagon. I don't think they should be penalized just for wanting to read. Perhaps, at some point, they can see that they certainly know as much as some of the more verbose posters, they just aren't as rude.

DFrost

·
Registered
705 Posts
jeff i totaly agree i hate lurkers. dont come on here and steal my knowledge without even a thanx

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Some of folks who lurk here who are significantly more accomplished in the sport and service world than the majority of the posters here. I say that (as I've said before) quite seriously. We have some great resources that lurk.

A few of them are quite active PM'ers but do not like posting.

Lots of them have had the same arguments before, and realize that arguing on the internet is like running in the Spec...well, you probably know that joke, but PM me if you don't, because it's funny if you're planning to go to Hell anyway.

Many of them enjoy the pictures and video, many of them come to at least have another source of potential breeders/dogs/puppies etc.

A 'nother group of lurkers are either new to the life and trying to learn...or have made the grave newb mistake of questioning a "seasoned internet pro"'s advice, perspective, or methodology, and got hammered for it.

Some of them use this forum, along with others, to announce trials and track trial results.

Others are completely unbalanced and scary people that are gathering information they'll use to harass the living crap out of regular posters using their real names.
(That's why I am here, anyway.)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Too super star??? OK sure they are. Come out of hiding weirdo.

Gotta work on that nat selection thing.
Funny you should bring up natural selection. I tend to think of those lurker "super stars" like I think of Jane Goodall: no matter how long she studied primates, she's still probably amused to tune in every once in awhile and watch monkeys throw poop at each other.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<<<no matter how long she studied primates, she's still probably amused to tune in every once in awhile and watch monkeys throw poop at each other>>>

Now that's funny right there, don't care who ya are. Accuarate as well.

DFrost

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Some of us may not have posted for awhile because stuff is going on on our lives................................Doesn't mean we want to leave.

·
Registered
382 Posts
People lurk for numerous reasons. Among them are: they aren't confident enough in their ability to feel they can add to the conversation. They honestly use it as a learning experience. Sometimes regular posters can be a bit insensitive. While regular poster expect it and it doesn't bother them, a new poster doesn't want the hassle. Some, I'm sure just like to read what's going on. Some don't want to be the first to disagre or they don't want to join the "yes, that's right" wagon. I don't think they should be penalized just for wanting to read. Perhaps, at some point, they can see that they certainly know as much as some of the more verbose posters, they just aren't as rude.

DFrost
yup. I agree.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Some might even enjoy a sport that they don't care to be ridiculed for.

Some may have seen others post questions about their sports and have to wade through piles of BS about the sports before they can get to their responses.

:-\"

Hypothetically.

I mean, that may never happen.

I'm just theorizing.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am a lurker...have been for the last couple of months. I am by no means a weirdo. Have not posted to this point because I feel I do not have anything to offer yet. I joined to learn more about the sports, because quite honestly, I knew very little before lurking.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Welcome Erin, and when you feel comfortable, have your say.

DFrost

1 - 20 of 69 Posts