Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
We are looking for someone in the Houston-ish area that would be interested in learning to catch dogs under Darryl's instruction. If you know of anyone that may be interested in such a thing that is in our area, please send them our way. :) It would be nice if the prospect is somewhat in shape and has some athletic ability! [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks,
Tammy

·
Registered
759 Posts
Definitely is here, too :(
Who would have thought it would be so hard to find people willing to get the crap bruised and pinched out of them by a bunch of crazy dogs?
What are we coming to?

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
My old club, as a bonus, liked to treat us like shit, and blame us on occasion for a dogs problems.

I really enjoyed standing in the sun in the summer, while the club members sat in the shade.

The best, was that if there was anyone to work my dog, I had to wait until I was finished working all the club dogs before I could work mine.

Never have I been treated like that. I am afraid that clubs are gonna have to start paying their decoys. It is just a matter of time before this happens.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
705 Posts
this is were multiple decoys come in. i work a few dogs take a break you work a few and somewhere in there my dog and your dog got worked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeff, your club experience sounds a lot like mine. No hard feelings and lots of funny experiences to look back on but kinda like high school I wouldn't go back and do it again. Once I started getting paid to train police dogs busting my a#$ twice a week for nothing lost its appeal fast.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
So where do I sign up? ? ? ? ? LOL I don't mind free, just getting blamed for every and anything. God Forbid I make the dog screw up, it was the end of the world, then, at the end, I sucked as a decoy, because I was "making the dogs look good" and therefore I sucked. Can't win for trying. :smile: :smile: :smile:

The funny thing is that my Xgirlfriend who used to tell me to quit crying when I talked about being the only one, is the only one now. They tell me that she only shows up if there is someone to work her dog. At least the sucky decoy that I am I showed up. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: They can just blow me.

At least I am not bitter about it. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Our club's decoys are held in very high regard. The TD/lead decoy is breaking in a couple of new folks that are comming along nicely.
Same TD/lead decoy/artist/silk screen press operator made t-shirts for our Decoy certification seminar a couple of years ago. They read, "Support your decoy! Without them you have no sport".

·
Registered
459 Posts
This is quite an interesting topic to me. I upon getting back into dog training had a very difficult time getting anyone that would teach me/let me work their dogs. I had thought that as a young tall athletic guy that people would jump at the chance to let me get bit? Who knew>?

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
This is quite an interesting topic to me. I upon getting back into dog training had a very difficult time getting anyone that would teach me/let me work their dogs. I had thought that as a young tall athletic guy that people would jump at the chance to let me get bit? Who knew>?
Not at all uncommon. The old saying "Use an expierienced dog with a green helper and an expierienced helper with a green dog".
A lot of handlers don't want to risk their expierienced dogs on green helpers.
When it's done properly, both sides learn.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote: This is quite an interesting topic to me. I upon getting back into dog training had a very difficult time getting anyone that would teach me/let me work their dogs. I had thought that as a young tall athletic guy that people would jump at the chance to let me get bit? Who knew>?

There was a time I had a lot of dogs sitting around that needed to work, where were you??????? LOL I used to run my buddy stupid.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I understand and agree with that totally Bob. I am pretty skeptical about who works my dogs, but am usually willing to let some people try as long as they helper work is safe.

I hear that Jeff, I recently got a bite suit and have been working with a few people who were very willing to let me learn on thier dogs. I feel like helper work is one of those things that you can only improve with practice. I mean I have had some really good tips/workouts/drills reccommended to me but there is no substitite for working dogs.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
It is easy to have someone that is new totally screw your hard work up. Buko was a leg dog, then I needed a decoy, and had no choice if I wanted to keep training him.

With all dog people, if there is no ego, then they suck. The problem with ego is that they figure that the dog is OK, then what is the problem. I lost more than a year of training my dog. I liked him on the legs better. I have had people tell me that it is just an excuse, but they won't let me work thier dog to show them how easy it is to screw things up. LOL

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is nice to be young, and in shape, but like you said, running ten miles in a suit everyday doesn't help the catching esquiving thing, and without that, what is the motivation to run in the suit again?????

Ya i try to spend a good amount of time in the suit just practicing moving and ducking dodgeing ect. I have been told at 6ft 6 235lbs I am a prime canidate to be a good helper. Being yound doesnt hurt either.

QUOTE=Connie Sutherland;49628]Safe, meaning experienced?[/QUOTE]

Safe meaning I dont feel they will hurt my dog. I have auctually seen someone work a dog and thought that dog is going to end up seriously hurt. I think you can be very inexperienced and still safe. Simple things like learning proper falling technique and how to safely catch and deflect the dogs energy are crucial. IMHO

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Quote: This is quite an interesting topic to me. I upon getting back into dog training had a very difficult time getting anyone that would teach me/let me work their dogs. I had thought that as a young tall athletic guy that people would jump at the chance to let me get bit? Who knew>?

There was a time I had a lot of dogs sitting around that needed to work, where were you??????? LOL I used to run my buddy stupid.
WTH Jeff! You took one of our mods, tossed a suit on him, tossed him under a bridge in one of the "less civalized" areas of your old hood and started tossin dogs at him.
Poor guy hardly ever visits us anymore. Claims he's to busy working. :lol: ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Come on Jeff, all the dog folks that you know, surely you know someone that'll work your dogs. If not, then bring them down here, we'll take care of them for you. Free of charge at that, just let me know when you'll be here. Its about time that you got into APPDA anyway huh!! :smile:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts