Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

She, and two of her littermates were found running on the interstate today. I don't know if they were dumped, or got loose from somewhere, or what, but she's very people oriented. She can't be more than about 12 weeks, I'm guessing. I'm looking for her a home, because otherwise she would have been taken to the pound (my husband's grandfather REALLY wanted to keep her, but his wife said absolutely not).

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:lol: Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen. Honestly, they really can't care for a dog; especially a big one like a lab, so it's probably best that she did say no.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Uh Oh.....more black socks......hee hee :p
Just kiddin, she is a cutie. You did good by saving her!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I like them floppy eared dogs for certain things. I'm glad it's not a pointy eared dog world. Actually, I'm surprised someone isn't looking for those dogs they really look pretty good. I like chocolates too. I've never eliminated a chocolate from drug or bomb training.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are NOT MY legs, this time, though! :lol:

I actually considered keeping her to see if she could be trained to sniff for drugs or whatnot, but it really would be a crap shoot, not knowing her lineage, and then I'd be stuck trying to get rid of an almost adult dog, instead of a puppy, which might be a bit more difficult. :?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, Spook was less than thrilled. I kept pushing him towards her while she was sleeping, and he'd fuzz up and back away. I'm hoping he'll warm up to her, though, so she can be placed in a home that has cats without worry.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Those are NOT MY legs, this time, though! :lol:

I actually considered keeping her to see if she could be trained to sniff for drugs or whatnot, but it really would be a crap shoot, not knowing her lineage, and then I'd be stuck trying to get rid of an almost adult dog, instead of a puppy, which might be a bit more difficult. :?
Lineage isn't all that important. Does the dog have the natural desire to retrieve. If so, play with it and it may well work out quite fine. If lineage was important, as far as working ability, I wouldn't have 14 rescues in my drug and explosives program.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't really played with her yet, but she did chase a tennis ball for my cousin this morning, so... She wasn't really sure what to do with it once she got to it, but she did try to pick it up before running back to my cousin. It was a little too big for her mouth :lol: I'll give her a few more days to settle in and start feeling better and I'll see if I can get her to play. She has worms and was covered in ticks when I got her, so she's not really feeling up to speed just yet.

We'll see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts