Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's 7 months now. Most of those pics are 5-6 weeks old.
Her nerve issues don't show up at the club much, but she still drives me crazy. Just not my kinda dog but she is a new learning expierience. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
she looks really attentive, bob. i know you're concerned w/her nerves--any plans at the moment? i bet i can get brix to look like that long enough for a picture!! :D (well-maybe)

i just have to find another person to take it!!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ann freier said:
she looks really attentive, bob. i know you're concerned w/her nerves--any plans at the moment? i bet i can get brix to look like that long enough for a picture!! :D (well-maybe)

i just have to find another person to take it!!
As of now, I'd still like to find a good home for her. Trouble is, I couldn't do it unless the person completely understood what they were in for. Some people enjoy working with these spooky dogs. I don't!
Yes, she's very focused on me but each and every new situation is a real trial for her (and me :oops: :D ). with no distractions, she has outstanding eye contact. Sits nicely on halts. Continues heeling, about turns AKC style, fast recall.
Of course she's still a pup, so none of this is for extended times. Short, happy and successful!
I know I limit myself with not wanting to put to much effort into her. Just my own personel temperment problem. :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
329 Posts
Hi Bob, she has great focus for the heel and sit in front. How did you accomplish that?? Food or toy reward or just is it in her nature?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Liz Monty said:
Hi Bob, she has great focus for the heel and sit in front. How did you accomplish that?? Food or toy reward or just is it in her nature?
She can't take her eyes off the beautiful River Front Training Club shirt! 8)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Liz Monty said:
We have 3-4 young (5-8 month) pups on the club and all their focus is quite strong like you see here. Even the Presa pups :eek: :eek: foose with great focus.
We start all our puppy training with food. It seems to be less distraction then a toy for many of the high drive type dogs at the club.
I prefer to start the dogs focus training from the basic (heel) position. when ANY eye contact is made, mark it (yes) and reward. EIt doesn't take long before the dog is focussing on your eyes no matter wher you hold the treat. As I mentioned in another post, DON'T try and see how long you can keep the focus on you.
My own dog Thunder couldn't control himself to work with the toy until he completely understood the exercise. Once that was accomplished, they toy was introduced to build power and drive.
Ursa has good drive for a rag on a rope but her toy drive is just comming up.
I'd like to mention that with food training, we like to have at least three different flavors/types of treats on us. That adds another factor of randomness to the dogs reward. They will alway keep "thinking" that the really good one is going to come any moment.

Connie, I'm hoping to get a few more with better color then ODGreen. :wink: That was just what was available for that club only printing.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Most of the clubs taining I have seen around here like to keep the food in their mouth or under their chin to get the dogs eyes upward. When the eyes make contact they drop the food out. Most quick dogs, quick at catching that is will learn to catch the ball or treat as it falls from the air. Is that the way you did it?? I'm asking because I have seen a few dogs loose concentration and then look all over the ground for the treat and they have lost all focus.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Liz Monty said:
Most of the clubs taining I have seen around here like to keep the food in their mouth or under their chin to get the dogs eyes upward. When the eyes make contact they drop the food out. Most quick dogs, quick at catching that is will learn to catch the ball or treat as it falls from the air. Is that the way you did it?? I'm asking because I have seen a few dogs loose concentration and then look all over the ground for the treat and they have lost all focus.
We don't put it in our mouths, or under our chin. I want to be able to hold the food right in front of the dogs face and it still looks me in the eyes to get to the reward.
It all about focus on the handler, not what the handler has.
When the reward does come. it is always brought to the handlers eyes, then strainght to the dog. That keeps the focus on the eyes when the hand starts moving. If the dog starts to follow the hand, it stops till the eye contact is continued.
Yes! To much clumsy food handling can create a dog that searches the ground for dropped food. That can be overcome though.
Some dogs seem to do it more naturally then others.
Ivan Balabanov's DVDs are the best for explaining this.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Yep, that's exactly how it should be done - for training with food. Syd Murray showed me about food training the first time years and years ago. But I ended up not using it afterward. But the way you describe is the best way to do it when you choose to do it with food. My new pup is really showing a similar character to a dog named Bluey that I had before, NOt Blue, those where two different dogs. Bluey was a shep/mix for work and he focussed on me just by nature. It looks like Bella is going to do the same thing, I HOPE
:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts