1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Jeff stop acting like a jerk. If you don't like the topic of conversation, don't participate! I am wondering if the title of this thread is a Freudian slip?:p :p

Quick Connie, get the e-collar.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Jeff stop acting like a jerk. If you don't like the topic of conversation, don't participate! I am wondering if the title of this thread is a Freudian slip?:p :p

Quick Connie, get the e-collar.
Now that's funny right there.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Is the dowel mixed in with other dowels/articles or by itself?
Is the dog looking for human scent on the dowel? Yours or others?
How large is the area of search?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Whoa... This got turned around quick. Nice moderation! I didn't know that about Mondio. I am curious about the excercise also Bob. Is it human scent that they are looking for, or just a wooden dowel?... Do tell Jeff.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think he is referring to the Search for an object exercise:

The 15cm long and 2 cm in diameter pieces of wood are numbered. Handlers each take a numbered piece of wood and place it in their pocket without showing it to his dog and tells the judge his number. All handlers carry the wood in the pocket for the same amount of time. The handler then places the piece of wood, in view of the dog, 30 meters out in a ficticious square 1m x 1m. While the handler returns to his dog, other pieces of wood (not numbered but identical to the one placed by handler - minus handlers scent) are placed by the numbered piece of wood. (3 objects for II - 4 for the III). The handler then gives his dog a voice command of search and bring. Handlers allowed to let the dog sniff his hand before he gives command.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
That's very similar to AKC Utility scent work. The only differences are the different distance and the AKC team has their back turned when the judge places all the articles, including the scented one, in a small area in the ring.
If the dog truly understands scent work, the other articles are a moot point.
A good dog (mine :smile: ) will find a stick in a brush pile if it has scent on it, and ignore all other sticks.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Nevermind. Go back to whatever it was you were doing badly.
Awwww, come on Jeff, it seems you wanted to discuss this topic since you brought it up and now you won't. What's up with that? ;)
Seems an interesting topic to discuss and find out how others are training it......

·
Registered
415 Posts
So it wasn't a legitimate question?... Just a jab? That's too bad... I was actually really interested. Gosh, I guess I'll go back to doing something badly.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
So sad, everyone else is so wrong, huh.
Susan,
I always wondered how I ever got three of my dogs certified for trailing, human remains detection and air scent work when I am such an ignorant trainer. :smile:

Not trying to start an argument, but sometimes I get really frustrated at people making comments that put us all down. ](*,)
And it is just one of those days today where I cannot refrain from commenting.....yikes

·
Registered
415 Posts
Carol~
Just carry on with failing miserably, take a deep breath, count to ten, and it will be okay.:p Or, you could just ram your head against the wall...](*,) and once the swelling goes down and the pain goes away you will have forgotten how others bring you down.:smile: Try and have a better day.;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Qoute: So maybe we can discuss some training instead of ducks F%c*[email protected] in the park and all the other incredibly stupid nonsense that some of you have been coming up with.

Qoute: Nevermind. Go back to whatever it was you were doing badly

Sounds like "Bullwinkle" Mr. Know It All to me.

I have heard enough I quess internet discussion is not possible for some.

Last Post

Dan Reiter

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Carol~
Just carry on with failing miserably, take a deep breath, count to ten, and it will be okay.:p Or, you could just ram your head against the wall...](*,) and once the swelling goes down and the pain goes away you will have forgotten how others bring you down.:smile: Try and have a better day.;)
I will do that. Thanks.....:smile:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Qoute: So maybe we can discuss some training instead of ducks F%c*[email protected] in the park and all the other incredibly stupid nonsense that some of you have been coming up with.

Qoute: Nevermind. Go back to whatever it was you were doing badly

Sounds like "Bullwinkle" Mr. Know It All to me.

I have heard enough I quess internet discussion is not possible for some.

Last Post

Dan Reiter
[MOD EDIT: Keep up the sniping, Justin, and you're done here. No one asked you. Trust me when I say you have a great habit of looking for trouble here. I am your huckleberry.-WT]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts