Working Dog Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
As Bob mentioned, a layer of ice spread out on the floor of a crate will keep the dog cool for a couple of hours. Just remember, put the ice UNDER something like the cedar floor panels that are available, so the dog doesn't come into direct contact with the ice. And don't forget, at some point you'll have a BIG puddle in the crate.

As far as car batteries go, there are car batteries available that have a secondary, backup system in case your battery is drained. You simply pop the hood, flip the switch on the battery to the secondary backup battery, and start your car. You then switch back to the primary battery which will be charged by the running engine.

Many police departments use these types of batteries because if a cruiser is parked and the engine turned off, but all the electronic gizmos are left on (radios, radar, dashcams, computers, etc), the car battery will be completely dead in about 15 minutes.

That's why you see police cars left running unattended for no apparent reason (there is a safety device which prvents the car from being stolen).

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Bout time Nancy! :D :cry:
Scott, excellent point about not being in direct contact with the ice. I suppose I could leave it in the bags or wrap them in beach towels.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The backup battery option is one I explored. This did seem the less expensive and easiest option without getting into a lot of wiring and thinking about things. Actually they even make primary car batteries that have cold cranking amps AND will deep cycle but my vehicle battery is standard.

Many people don't realize that regularly putting a deep load on a car battery will shorten its service life significantly - they were not designed to deep cycle. As it is, even deep cycles do best if not fully discharged between uses.

I have thought of running some PVC tubes as long as the crate with removable caps through the crates - could fill with ice then, like a big cooling ice pack. I need to play with a scent tube that I have not drilled holes in yet to see how it transfers heat (Maybe not so well)

41 - 43 of 43 Posts