Working Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Many times I have left my dogs in my locked vehicle with the AC running. However, I'm only away from my vehicle for 15 minutes or less. In the event of a malfunction I will not be gone long enough for the vehicle to heat to an unsafe temperature.

Overall I don't like leaving my dogs alone in a car but sometimes it's necessary.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I'm not all that fond of leaving dogs in a vehicle either. However, sometimes it just has to be done. During booking or court etc, the dog may be left alone for an hour or two. It does provide some sense of security knowing that should a problem develop, help is not too far away.

DFrost

·
Registered
30 Posts
As David has pointed out, the vast majority of Police K-9 vehicles have a Heat/CO2 sensor system installed as a precaution against heat/CO2 related illness. This is due to the large amount of time the dogs spend in the car unattended (at training, during a non-dog call, etc). In the summer, K-9 vehicles are left running nearly the entire shift with the A/C on full blast to keep the dog cool. If your engine dies, leaving the car with no A/C and the windows up, a major problem can arise -- quickly!!

The system has a sensor that can detect two temperature readings. If the inside temp of the car reaches the first setting, the system automatically rolls down the rear windows (which are fully covered by a cage panel) and turns a fan on inside the car, attempting to lower the inside temp. If the system senses the second, higher temp reading, it activates the vehicles lights/sirens and sends an emergency page to the handler to alert him that his partner is in trouble.

The system does NOT turn the car on or off, as needed, to maintain a cool temp (because we don't pay for the gas -- the city does :D ). The CO2 sensor is useful as well, since the vehicle is typically left parked idoling somewhere, which can cause CO2 problems, depending on ventilation.

For people like Schutzhund or SAR folks, a system like tis also makes sense because of the long hours the dog may spend crated in the vehicle while the handler is out doing something else (not talking about just running in to eat lunch, Jenni).

I like the Chilly Dog concept that turns the cars engine on/off as needed to maintain a constant inside temp, while conserving fuel. Tinted windows also help a TON, as they will usually keep the inside temp significantly lower, depending on the percentage of tint used.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I would just love to find secure window screens/grates for a 96 Ford Explorer

I can find 97 on up.

I have to leave my dogs crated in the car for long periods of time during summer training days.

I can lock the crates and I have fans to run, but I also have lots of eqipment that stays in my car that I would love to NOT have stolen. We have all gotten pretty good about knowing where the shade is and figuring out where it will be and whenever anyone goes to a vehicle they check on crated dogs.

G

·
Scott, you've obviously never seen me eat :lol: . I admit that I didn't have as hard a time leaving my Jetta running most of the day so Caleb could come with me on appointments (real estate) as I do my Grand Cherokee. The Jetta was slightly better on gas :wink: , but the Jeep is all tinted, so with the remote start, I can keep the keys with me and have it running and locked w/the ac set to a specific temp and my boy is quite content. It will shut down if the engine gets too hot, but that has yet to happen. It's supposed to send a signal to the remote when this occurs, and the remote is supposed to beep. The poor person's solution could include opening the hood to help a little; I've done this on really sweltering days and it's seemed to help some. While I leave Jeep running for hours, I do get to check on him frequently. I guess I have an ok setup for now, and the extra money I spend on gas seems like a toss-up between it and the cost of some fancy-schmancy system to start it, shut it off, etc.

Nancy, have you tried the screens? Maybe you could rig one for a 97 so it would work? I don't think they're all that different; could you try it and return them if they don't work? They have to make something for a 96. :?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Chilly Dog system installed on my Nissan Armada and can't say enough good things about it. It works great and is relatively fool proof. Well worth the $$. If anyone wants to know the specifics, let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thought I'd post this since I've gotten some PM's asking for the info:

As far as cost goes, I think that I have about 800 in it, fully installed. I got all of the options, which include remote pager, lights/horn and window drop. The system is pretty basic. It uses a temperature sensor and a control box like you have on the wall at your house. You set two temps into the box, start up temp and warning temp. For instance, my temps are 78 and 96. When the interior of my vehicle hits 78, the truck automatically starts up and runs for 15 minutes and then shuts off. Whent he temp goes back up to 78, it cycles again and repeats. If, for some reason the temp does not drop or the truck does not start and it hits 96, all windows will drop and the lights and horn will go off and the remote pager will signal me. This continues until you shut it off.

A few things to be aware of:

1) The system is dummy proof. This means that every single time you insert the key into the ignition, the system is activated and stays activated until you depress a kill switch upon removing the key. This is good and bad. Good because you will never forget to turn the system on and your dog will always be protected. Bad because you will absolutely forget to turn it off sometimes and you car will start and run on its own all day while you are at the office. It happens, but a small price to pay for dog safety.

2) The system does not "turn the air conditioning on", it merely starts the vehicle the way you left it. Therefore, you kind of have to remember to leave your AC settings on, or the car will run, will probably hit your emergency threshold and then will drop the windows and the horn will go off. After a while it becomes pretty automatic, like putting your seat belt on. The only time I have issues is coming out of the cooler months when you don't have to worry about temperatures and you get a little complacent about shutting it off every time.

3) The system will not allow your car to be stolen, contrary to what some folks believe. It operates without a key in the ignition and there is an automatic kill switch attached to the brake pedal. If someone breaks in and tries to put the car in gear, they must depress the brake, which will shut the car off and you can't restart without a key.

Overall, it is a fantastic system and WELLLLLLLL worth the money. I have a very, very close friend who is a canine handler with a police dept that jsut two weeks ago fried his dog dead because although he left his truck running, the AC compressor blew out and the vehicle got boiling hot and killed the dog. Had he had a chilly dog system, the windows would have dropped and that dog would have been alive today.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the timer adjustable, from 15 min to say 30 min? On a hot day, 15 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to cool the car down, even with the A/C on full. Will the system continue to cycle on/off indefinitely? Or is there a certain time period (say 2 hours) it will function for?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if you can adjust the run timer. Probably someone with some technical savvy knows how, or maybe the guy who owns the company can set it at the factory. And yes, it will cycle indefinitely.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Scott, I had discussed this with Vincent Mitchell over at the Chilly Dog company...

The system has 2 programmable temperature settings that are shipped with the Start Temp @ 77 and Alert Temp @ 97. You can change this to suit you.

This system will start and run for a set amount of time 12 minutes and this run time can be changed to 24min or 60 mins.

I hope this helps.

Vincent
The price incl shipping he quoted is as follows... I didn't opt for the window drop, but that sounds like something I should add too, which is less than $50 more.

Your total would be $735.50

Chilly Dog $455
Pager $165
Horn Honk $47.50
Factory anti-theft interface $48
Shipping $20

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike, get the window drop. That's a no brainer. It may be the only thing that saves your dog. Without it, in my opinion, the system is worthless should it fail. Granted, it may be hot outside, but at the very least the dog will get some fresh air should the AC fail.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Scott Zettelmeyer said:
That's what I figured, Mike. It's just like a remote starter, except it uses a temperature activation device. Thanks!
Very similar, except that it has a two stage brain. Stage one, starts the vehicle, stage two, drops windows and honks.

The real truth of the matter is that the pager, to me, is pretty worthless. I have it and it looks cool, but I've used it maybe two times in the past couple of years. Its just not that practical because when at training, I am not that far from my vehicle, and, I don't leave my dog in the vehicle unattended for very long elsewhere. Maybe 10-15 minutes max when I have to stop at the store. And, if you have the window drop, it really becomes irrelevant.

Totally different story if you are a canine handler, then I could see it.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just got quoted $300 install on that unit by the "cheap" guys in town... yikes! I'm not really sure I wanna spend $1100 on this project right now lol. I could install it myself I guess, but it'd sit in the box for a month before I'd even feel like looking at it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have two of these that I put on my rear windows (I have a 2000 Subaru Forester) if I have to leave the dog(s) in the car. It allows the window to be rolled down further than you could without the grate, but is pretty durn secure as long as you have it on right. The dog, or someone, would have to literally smash the window to get out/in.

I'm also trying (in vain) to find those rear hatch thingies that let you have the rear hatch open enough to let air flow, but not so far that someone could easily get into the car. I'd like to get one, but I can't seem to find the website that sells them.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The only thing bad about most of those window grates is that if you have a steeply angulated window (like my Neon's) they'll leave a gap that a dog could pop his nose through and just basically break out that way. Plus, most of them are plastic, so if a dog wants out, he'll get out. Also, you can't roll the window all the way down to allow for maximum airflow with most of them. They're good for small dogs, but not generally for large dogs like GSDs, Mals, etc.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You are right in that they work best with windows that are straight instead of curved. I had that problem with my Impreza; but with my Forester, the rear windows are narrow enough to let it roll down a good bit with the grate in it, and they are squared off at the top instead of being curved, so it works well for us. Yes, if a dog wanted out, he could bust through it, but if a dog wants out bad enough, he could just break through a rolled-up window, too.

With Gypsy, I don't have to worry about her getting out, but if I have to leave Jak in the car for more than a few minutes, I crate him and use the window grates (unless I can see my car from where I am, and then I'll crate him and leave all the windows down). I don't trust him fully just yet.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Once suggested somewhere else was to toss a bag of ice in the bottom of the dog's crate. That's my plan when the weather get really hot here. On training days, my dog may spend 4-5 hours in the car. Luckly, we are always in site of the cars, so we can leave windows open..

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Kristen Cabe said:
I have two of these that I put on my rear windows (I have a 2000 Subaru Forester) if I have to leave the dog(s) in the car. It allows the window to be rolled down further than you could without the grate, but is pretty durn secure as long as you have it on right. The dog, or someone, would have to literally smash the window to get out/in.

I'm also trying (in vain) to find those rear hatch thingies that let you have the rear hatch open enough to let air flow, but not so far that someone could easily get into the car. I'd like to get one, but I can't seem to find the website that sells them.
I have those same ones I got for $5.99 at petsmart.com.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I did it! I broke down today and bought a 55AH deep cycle AGM battery for the car and will buy the charger tomorrow.

Not going to charge it off the alternater - AGM batteries are safe inside an enclosed space, are vibration resistant, and can take a higher charge rate than gel cells. I will use that sucker to power my killer fans (and field charge radios, etc. if I need to). I decided that the drain on the alternator may be too much for the unit to deliver and I can pretty much charge it at night on a trickle charge -- may even buy one of those solar gizmos since most of my use is during weekends.

I may resort to ice on the floor as well. At least I do alway keep a cooler with water and ice and rags in it -- I use it even if the dogs don't.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts