Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before ACL Sx, and after. ideas??? his injury happened friday night, vets won't do SX before a re-eval in 10-14 days post-injury (to let acute soft-tissue heal).

what to do to keep him content while confined??? thanks for any and all help!!! oh--do have a crate, and use it, but while he's stuck in it? and, post SX, i don't think he'll fit, so....

he's gotten used to being with me ALL the time in the past 3 months, b/f, he was crated 10 hrs/day. i'm just not sure if I can stand the big brown eyes treatment. also, no matter what room i put his crate in, i'll be in and out, so, crate in least-traffic or where he can at least see me most of the day?

thanx for any help!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I've kept the crate in or close to the traffic lanes when I've had a post-surgical or injured dog.

I've done motivational training (any kind) to keep the brain at least a little tired and not as frustrated.

I've filled Kongs with stuff and frozen them solid to make it more of a job to work out the filling.

I've even made the whole meal turn into Kong-filling for that purpose.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
When Thunder was going through his heart worm treatment the only way we kept him calm and quiet was drugs.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Yep, done that too, once, for weeks.

You do what you gotta do, because in the long run, you can screw up important healing with crazy-dog bouncing around.

JMO.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I had a dutchie pup with a broken leg to keep quiet.... smacking her accross the head with a metal food dish n telling her to shut up didn't do diddly :( So I just stuck her in an exercise pen so she didn't feel too couped up and kept a fresh supply of chewable stuff in there for her n she'd settle down. I think some dogs respond better to a pen than a crate simply because its less confined. But some dogs I'm sure will knock the dang pen over n go running wild so that might not be a good idea ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts