1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Girls...

My question(s):

How do you condition your dogs?

Who uses treadmills? What kind? How did you start your dog? What's your routine?

How do you strengthen bites? Who uses spring poles? How?

Does anyone (other then me) use APBT conditioning equipment for their Mal, Dutchie or GSD?

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Club training 3 times a week. Lots of stick chasing in the field behind the house most every day. Bird dog type sendouts in the field.
Bird dog sendouts = Something is there no matter what direction I send him.
Of course now that he's under treatment for heartworm, I'm having to keep my brakes on in order not to drive the Presa pup crazy with training. :oops:
All the Pits at club that work a spring pole seem to have shallow grips on the sleeve. The Pit folks say it so they can breath and hang on longer. Just an observation!

·
Registered
674 Posts
We run 3 times weekly in cool weather, walk as the humidity starts to increase. He is ball driven so I throw his ball in the field and let him chase also. As far as bite building I simply give him a bite on lead and have the decoy slowly pull in one direction as I pull slowly in the other. I also use the bunjee as well as the agitation chain. Don't let the other half find out but I let him swim laps in the pool on occasion also.
Phil Dodson

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Ball play twice a day
Swimming when possible

I would LOVE to find a treadmill that both I and the dogs could use (one with a long enough platform for them) - and - one I could afford. I would be great for those hot days.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I use a treadmill for all of my dogs. Its a people treadmill, but its long enough for my labs and pointy-eared dogs to use.

I started slowly - first walking and then bringing it up to a faster pace. Now they're at a slow run. All 5 of my dogs love it. I didn't have any issues getting them to use it, although I typically tie them to it to prevent them from jumping off.

I now will exercise them for 45 mins. or more at a time, several days a week. This also worked really well when I was pregnant last year and unable to run with them. It also comes in handy on rainy days.

I think the treadmill is helpful to build endurance. I found that throwing the ball for exercise (which I do often) was akin to working them in sprints, but the treadmill helped build the endurance they need to work longer periods of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts