Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught just a tiny bit of the commercial for it, but tomorrow night at 8 PM and 11 PM eastern on Animal Planet, they are showing a program called K9 Bootcamp. I think it is for military dogs, but I'm not 100% sure. I've got the DVR set...

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Great, you will learn how NOT to train a dog. Maybe you'll get to see the one where the dog gets heat stroke and loses his eyesight, or the one where the dog is corrected so hard his trachea collapses. All favorites I am sure.

A FINE NIGHT OF TRAINING. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Oh no! Seriously?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries, Jeff. Not like I was going to take copious notes or anything. It might be helpful to me as I might go the US Army Vet Corps route after vet school and would be working with the military's dogs.

·
Registered
632 Posts
They used to air a special called K9 Bootcamp on AP. Maybe this is a repeat of that? Kind of like they repeat that "K9 Cop Challenge". :roll:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if it was the same program or not, Sarah. Interesting though. It actually was really helpful for me to watch since if I did do the Army vet thing, it'd probably down at Lackland AFB down in San Antonio. The heat is worriesome though. Misery, errr...Missouri is bad enough!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
This was a repete of the one last year. As with any TV show, the editing lets you see what the producers want you to see. It had nothing to do with their training ideas or tecniques. Still fun to watch.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I have no clue! :lol: We do have a former military dog trainer/handler here on the forum. Hopefully he can comment on MWD training.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Sorry, Yeti shorthand. I was watching the fine military dog handlers in training. (pogues, they disgust me) I was talking about them.
Kinnda interesting that you take such a violent stand against military working dog training yet advocate snout slapping, correcting the sh!t out of a dog at an early age, and other manners of things that sound downright abusive.

FWIW, I've never seen a MWD abused in any manner that you're describing...

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote:Kinnda interesting that you take such a violent stand against military working dog training yet advocate snout slapping, correcting the sh!t out of a dog at an early age, and other manners of things that sound downright abusive.

When you get a dog that can actually do the work, let me know. When you actually title a dog, let me know. Until then, maybe you should be listening to people that actually have done these things, and not imagining animal cruelty.

Ever wonder why really good competitors don't post on boards and help people out? Losers like this. Can't train, don't have a clue, but want to critisize.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya know Jeff, when you say things that are abusive, illogical and downright mean-spirited it greatly diminishes the validity of the correct, logical advice that you give..... makes everything have a negative feel to it. Kinda like continuously giving unfair corrections to a dog. They lose respect for you and don't see you as a fair, upstanding member of their pack.

Just some friendly advice. Take or leave it.

Debbie

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote:Ya know Jeff, when you say things that are abusive, illogical and downright mean-spirited it greatly diminishes the validity of the correct, logical advice that you give..... makes everything have a negative feel to it. Kinda like continuously giving unfair corrections to a dog. They lose respect for you and don't see you as a fair, upstanding member of their pack.

Here is the thing. I don't see anything illogical, about what ZI said. I would be curious as to wether or not you actually read what I wrote, or just skimmed it like all the other people. As far as a negative feel, well of course it does. I sat down and actually gave FOR FREE correct advice to deal with the situation involved.

I do not know any top level trainer that does not use corrections. Usually very harsh and brutal corrections that would make little positive weasels pee themselves for fear "the poor dog will be hurt".Yet year after year, with these same methods, these people compete with these dogs.
I made it quite clear that the correction should not knock the snot out of the dog. I made it quite clear that this behavior was innapropriate, but expected at this age. Then I was informed that this dog was still a "toddler" in her opinion, which told me quite clearly that she was clueless. 5 month old dogs are not "toddlers", but for lack of a better way of putting it, like a 13 year old boy. Slapping a dog that is biting you in the manner described is perfectly fine, and no where near abuse.

* Mod Edit*

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jeff, I wasn't referring to the advice you gave about correcting a dog. If you go back and read my post I think you will see that I agree with you. I was referring to the abusive language you used that has now been edited out. The post I am specifically referring to was in General Conversation, but since the Lounge area is for registered members only I preferred to post my response here. Figured you would get my point regardless of where it was posted. It is ridiculous for adults to verbally attack one another because they do not agree with each another.

You're a smart guy with plenty of experience that is fully capable of making a point without being verbally abusive.

Have a great day!
Debbie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts