Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Carole Goetzelmann and live in Southern Ohio. I plan on doing more lurking than posting. I'm not actively involved in any of the protection dog sports, though my malinois has a lot of FRIII dogs in her pedigree, if I remember correctly.

I have a young female malinois, Ciana. She starting obedience, tracking and agility.

I also have a "Dutch Black Malinois", Doerak. (That's the "title" he was given from another forum.) He's from Holland, he's black, and he's not a German Shepherd, he's not a Dutch Shepherd, and the Canaan dog people said he's not one of those, either. He was advertized as a malinois, and I can see it in his face, but not the body. (Okay, he's a little pudgy. We're working on it.)

Anyway, he does agility, obedience and he's starting on sheep herding. He's had some protection training before I got him. I took him to an Ivan Balabanov seminar and he really enjoyed the bite sleeve work, but we don't do that anymore.

I also just ordered a scooter. Seems the little malinois loves to pull me on a bicycle.

Here's some pictures. (I threw in that second picture because the malinois' color is better.)

:) Any excuse to look at dog pictures. :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
nice looking dogs. and by the way he probally is a mal dutch x and welcome welcome

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lurk all you want. When you feel like make a comment, suggestion or tell us a story.

DFrost

·
Registered
759 Posts
I definitely give my vote to him being a Dutch mal. Hes very handsome and its very common for the Dutch to introduce various breeds to attain a superior working dog. Their last priority is to conform to a standard as far as looks.
Both are nice looking dogs :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Ooh, nice pictures that I don't think I've seen! Does anyone ever ask you if Ciana is a German shepherd/greyhound mix? Lovely dogs!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
<sigh> Every Day! </sigh>

Well, seems like it. Sometimes they guess GSD/Whippet. She's tall, though, 26", Doerak is 24". I always wonder if spaying made her grow taller.
Spay/nueter will delay the growth plates closing, resulting in a long legged, coyote looking dog.....not that your dog isn't lovely! ;)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Indeed...there's a review article in JAVMA in February of 2004 by Spain et al. which discusses 7 week old vs 7 month vs adult. The degree by which the dogs are made "leggy" varies a lot though. Zoso was neutered at 4 months as a shelter dog and is not particularly leggy, though he's not real compact either. Some folks like to keep males intact for big blocky heads, but there are lots of intact males with more "feminine" heads, so, as always, it's the environment playing upon the genes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts