Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He was born 100 years ago today.

He once said, "For years I've played the kind of man I'd like to have been."

A lot of movie information sites and books list "Lassie" in the cast of "Hondo."

I've read that the Collies in "Hondo" and then "Big Jake" were trained by the Weatherwax kennels and were Lassie siblings and children ... not Lassie, though.

There is a story, maybe apocryphal, that says Wayne won Lassie away from Rudd Weatherwax in a drunken after-shooting-hours poker game, then "gave the dog back" in the morning. Maybe he did.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I always heard it was Lassie. I think I even remember Lassies name on the credits.
That the ****** killed the settlers didn't bother Hondo but when they killed Sam (Lassie), it hit the fan.
My kinda hero! :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I always heard it was Lassie. I think I even remember Lassies name on the credits.
That the ****** killed the settlers didn't bother Hondo but when they killed Sam (Lassie), it hit the fan.
My kinda hero! :lol:
I had always heard that, too, but then I was reading some memoir (I forget whose) that said it was Lassie relatives, and certainly Weatherwax kennels.

This http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=40684&mod=films
says it was Lassie;
this (and some others) http://home.att.net/~weatherwax/Movies.htm
says no.

But now that I think about it, I have to bow to your superior knowledge (age).

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I would think the Weatherwax site would be more accurate.
I didn't even know about the Big jake dog being part of the Lassie clan.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i love john wayne, he was my hero, plus i always thought my Dad looked like him. doesn't seem possible that he was born 100 yrs ago though--i'm not NEAR old enough for that to be true.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts