Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First post for a new forum member. Any Malenois experts out there?

I recently acquired an amazing dog who's had a rough history. She was found malnourished on the streets of Texas, taken to a humane society, adopted by a family, and then given to me due to her food aggression and territorialism. She's very intelligent but also a bit scared in general.

Her previous owners told me she is a Malenois. I do agree that she displays all of the characteristics of the breed except she is black and her hair might be a bit too long. I plan to get her some obedience training to build her confidence and see what she is really capable of.

Here are a few pictures of her. What do you guys think? Malenois? I should note that her feet are peppered with the typical Malenois brown and her undercoat is amber in color. I was told that she is 2 years old. She weighs 42 lbs.

Thank you in advance for any information you can give.
Water Water resources Dog Green Lake
Bird Vertebrate Grey Beak Feather
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Road surface Asphalt
Water Sky Dog Collar Carnivore
Dog Plant Flower Carnivore Dog breed

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. On a walk the other day I ran into a man who wanted to get a closer look at Lucia. He thought she was some type of Spitz. I looked up the breed and came across pictures of a Black Norwegian Elkhound. She looks identical to some of the pics, she has all the characteristics and I recently found out that she absolutely loves the snow.

But apparently they're not that common in the USA so I don't know...

Here's a picture of a Black Norwegian Elkhound from the internet.
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal

· Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. On a walk the other day I ran into a man who wanted to get a closer look at Lucia. He thought she was some type of Spitz. I looked up the breed and came across pictures of a Black Norwegian Elkhound. She looks identical to some of the pics, she has all the characteristics and I recently found out that she absolutely loves the snow.

But apparently they're not that common in the USA so I don't know...

Here's a picture of a Black Norwegian Elkhound from the internet. View attachment 7488
[/QUOTE

hard to tell, but looking at Lucia's snout and the nose on this dog, I can see a resemblance but not 100%. Seems your dogs nose is longer, whereas the snout on the dog above is a tad more blunt. I think moving forward it's all speculation until you're able to secure a doggie DNA test to be 100% certain. Either way Lucia looks cool as can be and i love that he/she is good with boating. I sail and have trained my mail to walk thin lines and balance on things so now she moves around the sailboat with ease. She's always clipped to me when above deck and i'm clipped to the boat (yes we both wear PFDs).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.