Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Daryl Ehret said:
I've applied Konrad Most's technique for correcting "chicken agression" as applied to cats, using the choke chain, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. I don't want to ruin his drives or confidence, for schutzhund competition. It's appearing that he'll need to be crated during times he's not actually being worked.
Sorry to be dumb here...chicken aggression? Just wondering what that was.

I've spent a long time getting the dog and cat used to each other. To Bob's point, I'd never trust a high-prey dog around any cat..for both of their sakes...last thing I want is a dead cat and a punctured dog eye.

It is interesting to me that all of the dog/cat intro stuff you read seems, to the most part, to ignore the temperment of the cat. I still have roaming cats come up to Annie (65 lbs) and me on our walks hissing and hackled up (this will last as long as Annie will tolerate it...they bail pretty quick when she lunges at them...but my overall point is that a territorial tom will probably make a fool of most puppies in a bad way).

I think introducing a dog and cat should happen in an environment comfortable and natural for the cat yet new for the dog, and in the midst of distractions for the dog as folks above have described. Probably not in a crate but on a line so redirection is easy. And lots of scent before sight. JMHO based on my one experience and the stuff I read around it.

So anyway, now I have Annie (<12 mos) to the point where I'll put her in a down next to the cat and groom the cat, etc. This is tense for both of them but it's getting better. Still would never leave her alone with the cat.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, daryl. And I really like your dogs...particularly now that bob scott has given me a bad case of "sable envy." ;-)

Can you go halfway on that correction effectively? I don't mind if the cat and dof interact...they sniff each other, etc. What I don't want is annie standing over her (the cat won't move but will get ready for battle) or her bolting after the cat. I don't know if I can have it both ways.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Bob Scott said:
BTW! How are they both doing with the cats?
They're fine, in my case. They're mostly separated by the maze of gates through the house. The cat has taken over one of the cribs--elevated and lots of bars so no dog harassment. We also feed her in an elevated place, etc. The dog does not have free run of the house, the cat does, etc....

So Mike, you initiated this thread back in mid-April, how did things go on your side.

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Bob Scott said:
Mike now has to supply Lyca with fresh cat meat in order to keep her happy. :lol: :lol: :wink:
At least now I understand how she's able to do standing back flips in her crate. Sheesh. Cat meat! Innova just released a red meat version of Evo...I'll send that suggestion over to their customer service group....

· Registered
2,969 Posts
Andres Martin said:
Has anyone here ever tried an e-collar on a cat?
Only one of those electrified mats that shock them if they step on it. Very effective and entertaining and spooked both cat and puppy. I used it for about three hours before I felt guilty (I used it for my own entertainment). I'll sell it cheap if somebody wants it. It shocks the hell out of people too. Very fun thing to put on a kitchen counter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.