Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,452 Posts
When I tried to introduce Jak to my cats, at 5 months old, he went ballistic barking at them, and even very strong prong corrections didn't work to make him stop. In fact, he just yelped and kept right on trying to go after the cat, which decided he'd had enough of that and took off. If he knew there was a cat under the couch, for example, he would circle the couch until I finally made him stop. If I redirected his attention with a treat, he took the treat and went right back to focusing on the cat again. If I put him in his crate, whenever he would see the cat he would go ballistic again. :? After a few tries, and whenever my cats would refuse to come upstairs at all, I decided to stop trying and wait until I could fry him with the ecollar for going after the cats.

I sure hope your experience is better!!

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Bob Scott said:
Excellent point! If the cat is going to panic and bolt every time it's exposed to the dog, you've got a long road to travel in keeping the dog calm.
This is my problem, and why Jak has not been in the house since he was 5 months old. :( My one cat (the declawed one) runs like hell if he so much as sees Jak through the storm door. My other cat is somewhat okay if Jak is at a distance, but he likes to hide under the couch and smack Jak from underneath it, which only makes Jak excited. If they are both out, though, and Jak gets too close and Spook smacks him (with claws), it also makes Jak more excited. I'm afraid if I want to keep Jak in the house it's going to take some serious compulsion to get him to ignore the cats. If I'd gotten him when he was younger, and not as able to hurt the cats, I think things would have gone a lot more smoothly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.