Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Fawkes

Votes: 10 52.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just picked up my boy this morning at the Kansas City airport. Still can't quite decide on a call name. His registered name will be Ordre du Phenix du Dantero (yup, I'm a big Harry Potter nerd!) and I can't decide between Phoenix and Fawkes. Any opinions? My agility instructor met him this afternoon and suggested Fawkes (like "fox") may be an easier call name. *shrug* Anywho, here's a few quick photos. More to come soon. ;) Big thanks to Kadi for her flexibility and her help! \\:D/

Right after we let him out of the crate to stretch his legs and potty and saying to my husband: are you my daddy?

Has nice coloring in the light. Wouldn't hold still for a better picture though. Cute little puppy tongue!

He fell asleep upside down with his feet in the air on the 2.5 hour drive home. Too cute! What a little angel... O:) For now! :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Well, I have read that it's easier for dogs to learn and recognize a two-syllable name than one.

Now, that sleeping position - that's a dog who is confident and unafraid; looks like he adopted his new pack pretty fast! :lol:

·
Registered
705 Posts
I like Fawkes and dont worry i am a Hp nerd as well. cant wait for the new movie next month as well as the last book!!!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Also a big HP fan - I'll be at the book release party as usual - though this year, I may be helping the chemistry department with "Potions" demonstrations for the kids ;)

Edited to say that I voted for "Fawkes" - which, coincidentally, will one day be the name of my next macaw.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Congrats Maren! Very cute and good looking pup, can't wait to see more pictures. I voted for "Fawkes" :smile: only because the dogs named Phoenix that I've known were females. The only concern that I would have is, if you say his name quickly it might sound like another word:p

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I voted for Phoenix cause I think you should call him Fiendex just so you could call him Fiend for short. Forgot to say how much I love the picture of him sleeping in the crate because he even looks intense in his sleep.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maren,
Congrats he is outstanding looking!! I like both names being a huge HP fan. My kids think I go for them ha! I think I like Fawkes better though because like Susan said you could shorten that to Fiend or Nicks for a call name. Either way you can't go wrong. Would you please keep up the puppy pictures?? ;)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Maren,

You will just have to get another pup and name one Phoenix and one Fawkes.....:smile: :smile:

He is a beauty by the way!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
LOL Love the photo of him on his back. He was quite cute at the airport, they put Surge (shep) up on a counter, and Bruiser was on the floor. Surge kept looking down at Bruiser and would start yapping at him. Bruiser ignored him for awhile, probably eating the dinner I put in the crate, then finally started responding to Surge's constant "hey, you down there, I'm all alone up here" and they started "talking" back and forth. You definitely got the quieter of the two though LOL

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hooray for relative quiet! He is pretty good in the crate really. Will voice his displeasure for a few minutes tops and then settles pretty quickly. Even let me sleep from 1:30 AM to 6:30 AM last night while I was on the sofa near his crate. Been raining off and on all day, so not too much fun outside today, but we have agility in about an hour. DH will hold him off to the side out of the ring while I work Zoso so hopefully he won't be too loud! :)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Well, I have read that it's easier for dogs to learn and recognize a two-syllable name than one.

Now, that sleeping position - that's a dog who is confident and unafraid; looks like he adopted his new pack pretty fast! :lol:
"Confident and unafraid"!
That's a mal! He's so wired that he's stuck himself to the cealing of the crate. Maren just posted the pic upside down. :lol:
Looks like a keeper! ;)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like we are going with...drum roll please...Fawkes!

Some more photos...

Big brother Zoso with little brother Fawkes

Fawkes and my friend...silly puppy! He should be doing the biting!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Great Pics Maren! I really like the picture of Zoso and Fawkes. I also prefer where his tattoo is, better then the ear. How did Fawkes do on the sidelines at agility last night?

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
another big HP fan here :) Cant wait till july 21st..than the English version is released here (I have read them all in english instead of the translated version, saves me a halfyear waiting).

I like fawkes but maybe phoenix (fi-nix) is an easier callingname.

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah i like fawkes. anyway i know selena i was real pissed with the ending to the sixth book though. cant wait for the last one and the movie for the fifth book

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Lacey, he was a little bit on the aloof side with other people. Not shy, but not real outgoing either. I didn't let my husband let him interact with any of the other dogs. There was a lot going on (2 agility rings, 1 obedience ring, and 1 rally ring) so he had a lot to take in and lots of action and dogs going back and forth. He was reasonably quiet though. Only barked a few times at me and at a few other dogs. He'll be coming with me each week, so he'll get used to it. Next round of classes, we'll probably start puppy agility foundations with him and start Zoso on the agility jumpers class.

Susan, thanks! That's a good "Malinois" picture of him, complete with tongue hanging out the side. :roll: :)

Selena, I took 5 years of Spanish before college and I still remember a little, but I'd like to try to read the first Harry Potter book in Spanish to brush up since I know the story so well. I just watched Pan's Labyrinth the other night and could understand about 25% without the subtitles. Need more work!

Anyways, the 7th book is just a month away! I've got my Hermione Granger costume ready and Sam will go as Snape. :D He's 6'3" so he's pretty intimidating in full costume, which includes my masters graduation robes, a black cape, black shirt, shoes, and trousers, and a black wand I made. I used to sell them on e-bay before they told me I was violating copyright. :roll: I told him he can't run around Barnes and Noble or wherever we go yelling "Avada Kedavra!" at the little kids. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts