---
with a historic blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow and winds to 90
M
PH

that broke trees in half, knocked down utility poles, stranded
hundreds
of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed ALL roads, isolated scores
of
communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

FYI:

George Bush did not come.

FEMA did nothing.

No one howled for the government.

No one blamed the government.

No one even uttered an expletive on TV .

Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton did not visit.

Our Mayor did not blame Bush or anyone else.

Our Governor did not blame Bush or anyone else, either.

CNN, ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC did not visit - or report on this category

snowstorm. Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.

No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House.

No one looted.

Nobody - I mean Nobody demanded the government do something.

Nobody expected the government to do anything, either.

No Larry King, No Bill O'Rielly, No Oprah, No Chris Mathews and No

Geraldo Rivera.

No Shaun Penn, No Barbara Str! iesand, No Hollywood types to be
found.

Nope, we just melted the snow for water.

Sent out caravans of SUV's to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars.

The truck drivers pulled people out of snow banks and didn't ask for
a

penny.

Local restaurants made food and the police and fire departments
delivered

it to the snowbound families.

Families took in the stranded people - total strangers.

We fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Coleman
lanterns.

We put on extra layers of clothes because up here it is "Work or
Die".

We did not wait for some affirmative action government to get us out
of a

mess created by being immobilized by a welfare program that trades
votes
for 'sittin at home' checks.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen
this
early, we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"In my many travels, I have noticed that once one gets north of about
degrees North Latitude, 90% of the world's social problems
evaporate."

It does seem that way, at least to me.

I hope this gets passed on.

Maybe SOME people will get the message. The world does Not owe you a

living.

I smell a horrible slam on New Orleans, but I cannot seem to point at the exact moment that I stopped giving a crap. Probably 3 days before the storm hit, but possibly before this. This is probably one of the best explanations of why I don't give a crap.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Yep, you're right, that's a pretty despicable over-simplification of what happened in New Orleans. I hope that guy gets fired for being an idiot. Good to see that there is always more ignorance out there. What happened in New Orleans--speaking as a guy with a friend (medical doctor, wealthy, not black, etc) who had enough money to get out of there in time, but came back to find his place completely destroyed--what happened in New Orleans was pretty simple, in my own words:

A nuclear bomb dropped.
On a place that has been known for decades to be a site where one would drop.
In a place where political and business corruption insured that a nuclear bomb could drop.
On people--whites and blacks--who could only watch the bomb drop.
In an environment that, even post 9/11, couldn't figure out how to clean up after a nuclear bomb.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
This happened in Colorado recently, and unlike New Orleans we didn't have anyone crying for help.

No nukes, nor did I see ANYTHING like the devastation that a nuke would produce in New Orleans.
Ha-ha. Read up on Katrina. Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_katrina. Talk to people that experienced it. And let me know if you come up with anything close to "a category 5 blizzard that hit a little earlier than usual in a place that knows it can happen and can deal with it themselves." You're comparing apples to oranges here to infer some kind of statement about Those People and it's about as weak as my dog handling. Which sucks, by the way.

And Jeff...by the way...if five or eight feet of water suddenly rose in Denver, Buko would have a nice obstacle course of floating corpses to navigate on his recall work.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
...and let me know the source of that statement, I would love to spend time trying to make sure that guy never serves the public again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
While I don't believe the 2 are even remotely comparible either, and w/out getting into a political debate over it all, I would like to say that I was highly surprised this year when my daughters school sent home a notice before the holidays stating that local assistance groups would again NOT be able to help local families w/ meals/toys for the Holidays because they were still assisting the Katrina families. Luckily WE did not and do not need assistance from these groups but I know there are many people around us that DID and DO need help. I just found it very upsetting and wrong that our local community was put on the back burner for Katrina people again. I think it is great that help is still being offered in some form I guess but I'd liked to have seen the local community considered as well.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
That's too bad (seriously). It was (is) a horrible event. I think the last time my Mom went down with her church to serve food lines in (a white and not destitute pre-Katrina) area of Mississippi was last Fall.

Not sure when that deal will ever end. Those things leave a lot of head wounds even when the stuff seems over...saw that in OKC after the bombing, saw it with my parents in the OKC tornado, you certainly see it still with people trying to deal with 9/11.

Of course, it could be worse.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Yes, people gave as much as they could after the Tsunami, & then gave more after Katrina. I'm not surprised local groups were unable to help locals who are down on their luck. It is just a bad situation all around.

Please note, federal funds are being released to help those states (including Colorado) effected by the blizzard.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
susan tuck said:
Please note, federal funds are being released to help those states (including Colorado) effected by the blizzard.
All that white trash in Aspen. Ungrateful, all of them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Teach us to care and not to care, teach us to be still.

http://www.thislife.org/
Episode 297. "This is not my beautiful house" Act Five.

She was a strong woman, but the emotional pain she had to endure in the last months of her life- homeless, unable to center, because the center was gone, home, hearth , all the physical manifistations of her selfhood destroyed- was wrenching. She died a stranger in a strange land, even though she was welcome with me. Lost.

People are relation. Not...objects.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
That Buber stuff keeps coming up, eh, hippie? :wink:

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Why unfortunately? Are you hanging a tag on my point?
Because the point you're trying to make--pretty unsuccessfully--is unfortunate.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
What I can't quite figure out is the 48 degrees latitude thing. That's like the US-Canada border, isn't it? Is this some kind of shadow email from one of those dirty Canadians trying to subvert the US once again?

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Lets see! Nobody died in Denver. 1, 000 or so did in New Orleans.
I doubt anyone in Denver lost everything they had. 1,000s did in New Orleans.
Yep! Definately worth a comparison. :roll:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts