Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had somewhat of an interesting day, for me anyway. I've mentioned before that I'm not all that knowledgeable about sports They interest me, and some of the things in sports are really impressive. None-the-less, I had to look at 3 dogs today, I was going to purchase two of them. The dog were with the guy that owned who also is the trainer for a schutzhund club in these parts. He was conducting some training with club members. I went and watch several dogs work several different routines. The "send away" I think it's called is really neat to watch. I really don't understand what it's all about, but it is neat to watch. Anyway, after a couple of hours of watching, two dogs somehow got into a fight. A lady was bitten on the leg trying to break the two up. I did get to look at three of the dogs he had for sale, and purchased two of them for the class that starts Tuesday the 29th. I was impressed with the lady that got bit, she cleaned up the wounds a little, put some bandages on them and went right back to training. One of my Troopers would probably still be in the hospital. (ok, maybe that's not totally fair) I did enjoy watching though. I declined the invitation to do some helper work, I was afraid someone would film it and someone on the board would rip my techniques apart coughjeffcough, but to me, it was an interesting day. They are having a trial this weekend, I'm going to stop by and watch it as well.

DFrost

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Sounds like it was a all around good day. Please let us know how you like the trial. Interestingly enough I just got the may/june issue of Schutzhund USA magazine. There is an article written by Mike Andrel. He has been a K9 officer since 96 and a member of USCA since 89. 2 of his dogs were multiple schIIIs (competed in the BSP), multiple V ratings in SV Seiger shows, competed in the Police World Championships (USA team), as well as the U S Police Nationals. Both dogs were also his working patrol & drug dogs. His new GSD is the 3rd generation police/sport/show/family dog. I am in awe of the guy!

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well David, at YOUR age, ANY day is an interesting day, isn't it??? JK LOL:p :p

My dad always says; any day above ground is a good day. I do tend to agree with that. You are correct, they are all interesting
haha

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You mean, as in, "Oh, wow, another day above ground! Yahoo!" ?

Watch it, young lady, because we have two other mods of just about the same age.

You know -- the wise and experienced age.

:lol: :lol:
you mean that mike and woody have been posting 20-yr old/or doctored pics??? OMG!!!!

oh--you mean BOB, the old ************!!!!! guy...

and Selena has to be about my "young lady" age. (so there....???)

so i'm all good--just hope Y'all are! :-$

HEY! Old sure beats he(( outta the other option!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Old also makes you push the wrong buttons when you try and reply. :oops: :smile: ;)

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
I really like the send away. I have not spent the time to really teach it to Buko, I just put a fakey on him.

I remember training labs as a kid on the send away. I remember when I was first being taught how to do it, I had no idea why there were so many steps to it.

I had watched the finished product many times, and where we started with the babies confused the crap out of me.

It is my favorite thing to watch in a field trial by far, maybe my favorite thing to watch period in dogsports. I find the send aways for Sch and ring to be a bit weak.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
ok seriously, why are SCH send-aways "weak"? what would make them "stronger"?
note: i've never trained it (so far), but after going to a retriever trial last year w/baby sister, i've wondered how they train it to a certain extent. at least there there's a bird flying up in the air to "mark" then search for...even if it's multiple "marks".

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Doesn't matter if the dog see's the bird or not, they can be directed, some of the really good ones, 2-300 meters and be whistled to a stop a little over a yard away from the drop.

You would have to see what a Sch send away looks like over unever terrain, or through water to see how rediculously simple Sch's version of the send away is.

Once on weird terrain, the dog will be all over the place. This is what impresses me, as I have tried to stay straight on a send out myself, and ended up way off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Absoloutly true that the send aways in retriever field trials are much more advanced than what we do in schutzhund, but why do you have to call it ridiculous? What do you want some Super Duper Dog test where every exercize is better and harder than any exercize in any other sport no matter what? Send Away has practical application with retrievers. Handlers need to direct the retriever to an approximate location where the duck may be, often times underwater. With us, it's just an obedience exercize. Do retrievers do a blind search?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts