1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:
http://www.citypages.com/databank/27/1351/article14824.asp

Good discussion questions at the end of it.
That's a good article.

It goes over a lot of the info that's put out by orgs like "Out of the Pits," a group my daughter works with.

I guess everyone on this forum is aware that dogs like these make up a preponderance of the pack Cesar Millan has rehabilitated at his Center in East Los Angeles.
Yeah, nothing really new, most striking to me that it was from City Pages (my hometown alternative newspaper). I usually assume ******** and gangsters up here are too cold to train dogs.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
No, nothing really new, but a good in-depth article from the frozen tundra, and definitely worth reading.

I think you deleted my post when you quoted it, but that's OK! :lol:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
No, nothing really new, but a good in-depth article from the frozen tundra, and definitely worth reading.

I think you deleted my post when you quoted it, but that's OK! :lol:
I thought I was just having a conversation with myself! Happens a lot on quiet days. Happens a lot, now that I think about it.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
http://www.citypages.com/databank/27/1351/article14824.asp

Good discussion questions at the end of it.
I have a rescued Pug and he belongs to a training club with 30 other Pugs (not my GSD's club!).

One of these Pugs has home-cropped (butchered) ears. He was rescued from a SoCal drug/dog-fighting deal where the owner went to prison for drug dealing and left behind two mangled Pits and this mangled Pug.

The Pug had been used as bait in training the Pits to pit-fight. The ears were chopped off so the Pits wouldn't go for the dangly parts but would head for the throat and body, as I understand it.

Pugs are sometimes used because they have no real defense (flat face, small teeth, no aggression) and help build up the confidence of the young dog being trained to fight.

Sometimes other toy breeds who don't have bracheocephalic snouts are used, and their muzzles are duct-taped shut, again to give confidence to the young fighting dog.

I don't know what happened to those poor Pits, who stayed in the L.A. area, but I can guess.

P.S. The Pug is incredibly well-socialized and happy, with most of the extreme fear he came with now gone. He has wounds, but he was obviously rescued early in his "career." I shudder to think of his short, terrified, and miserable life, had his owner not run into a sting operation.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
If I had a dime for #1, all the pits in my neighborhood, and #2 all the kids that have asked me to "Teach my dog to bite someone", I'd be a rich man.
I think I've gotten through to a few of them, but most don't have a clue why I wont do it. Really sad how a really high percent of these kids are being brought up with no feelings whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Why is it that it's usually the scummiest trash (white, black, Hispanic, I don't care) that has pretty ruined the rep of the once people friendly breed? If it wasn't for the darn insurance and possible BSL with having these dogs (when I finish vet school, I'd like to live in or around Denver), my husband would probably love one for obedience and therapy work. I like my shepherds and huskies and he likes big goofy slick haired breeds like pitties, Rotties, and Danes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts