Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, just a theoretical question...

If you were going to design your own sport, with the idea of it being as challenging and as realistic as possible, what would you include in your program? What I mean is, what scenarios, exercises, levels of pressure, etc. do you feel are missing from American dogsport as we know it today(protection, obedience, tracking/trailing, etc.)? Keep in mind that the goal of the sport should be to test the dog for suitability for breeding and working situations. Also, from your current sport, what are the exercises you believe to be the most accurate as an evalution of a dog's breedworthiness, and what exercises just get on your nerves? For example, I do ASR - love the building and woods searches, don't like the seated defense of handler.

I'd like to hear from people from as many different sports as possible, as well as the PPD trainers. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I don't honestly think we need yet another dog sport added - although I would love to join a KNPV club if it was available in NC :wink: . There are more then a few sports out there now, that I would like to see grow, that we already have now in the U.S. - Mondio being one that immediately comes to mind and then there is ASR. What I would like to see is more hidden suit/sleeve work in all the sports. If I had it my way Jute would not be used at all in SchH - I'd at least switch to french linen for the sleeve. There are to many things to list that I would like to see changed back pertaining to SchH - at least the old schoolers say it was alot better back in the day. For the wood search/building search in ASR - the decoy should be in the woods/building prior to the dog being brought out. Do away with the standing in the middle of the field while decoy is firing the gun - I'd rather be in a cover position for that exercise. Less presentation by decoy for the bite would also be nice. I think it should be the decoys job to try and run the dog off the field - don't adjust for the dog to make the dog look good. If there is an escape exercise - well then the dog should be doing everything in his power to prevent the escape instead of holding onto a sleeve or bitesuit and going along for the ride with the decoy/helper. I definitely like the idea of no leash - no collar. Realizing that in ASR that would be very difficult in the civil agitation exercise - I'd allow the leash and collar there :twisted:

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
Although it's not around here, I like the randomness of Mondio. You have to train the dog for ANY situation that may come up.
I do enjoy Schutzhund as a sport but the formality and familiarity of the exercises can (not always) take away chances for a real dog to show through.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
The problem with dog sports as a test is that it's difficult to arrange random street attacks for a large group of people who want to title their dog. Whatever the sport, whatever you do, all it is, is a new routine for your dog to learn. Some require more than others. The only true test is have a guy sneak up on your when you least expect it and make the handler believe the attack as much as the dog. Other than that, I don't see any real proof that any one sport is better than another, it's more to do with personal choice, what you personally enjoy to train your dog to do as well as what's available to you in your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.