Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the correct place to post this. I'm probably going to fly to Europe and bring back a puppy. I think I found all the info I need on vacinations from the CDC. But, somebody said they drove to Canada and brought back a puppy and had to pay $300 duty on it. I went to the US Customs page and only found this.

"Dogs, cats, and turtles are free of duty. Other pets imported into the United States that are subject to a customs duty may be included in your customs exemption if they accompany you and are imported for your personal use and not for sale."

I figure a lot of people here import dogs from Europe. Anybody pay a duty?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
No duty, just need the european "Pet Passport" for the pup and you are good to go. If the pup is over, I think, 16 weeks then he will need his rabies shot. Otherwise he will be admitted under the pretense that you promise to go get a rabies shot and keep the pup in your home until 30 days after the shot has been received. But hey, nobody checks, so just say "I Do" and get on with your life :lol:

Be careful with the airlines, some of them have age restrictions. Some will fly 8 weeks and up, some 10 weeks and others 12-16 weeks depending on how much of a pain they want to be.

Also make sure customs is open at the time your flight arrives in the US or your pup will be held till customs is open again. I dont know if this also goes for situations where you bring the dog in yourself though, so I could be wrong, but I would check to make sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mike.

I have a feeling that the person who paid $300 just went through customs on a bad day. Plus, knowing the right things to say. I once had to pay a duty on some freeze dried camping food I brought with me to Canada because I called it "groceries" instead of "camping equipment". It also gave them a good excuse to search my car for other "stuff".

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
:lol:

I had to pay $250 per dog to bring mine with me to Belgium because the only flights I could get landed them on a weekend, so the mandatory vet inspection fee was triple that of a weekday for making them work weekends, plus the $50 "making customs work on a sunday" fee.

Gotta love fees!

·
Registered
382 Posts
It is also my understanding that you tell them you are importing a "PET" not a breeding animal. Or at least, when I called customs, to ask them a bunch of questions before importing my puppy....that was one of the questions that came up.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah you have to pay tax 14% I think when you import to Canada. Yeah I think you're mostly exempt if you don't tell them you purchased the dog and it's a pet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts