Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it's cause I am now Maren Bell Jones, MA (Biological Sciences) BA (Religious Studies). I'll have more degrees than a thermometer by the time I get done.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Congratulations. Soooo, how soon before we have to start calling you Doc?

DFrost

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not for another 4. :D As I'm thinking about doing a residency and becoming certified as a dog veterinary behaviorist (like the equivalent a dog psychiatrist), the steps to do so with residency are pretty stringent, like you have to pass special boards, do 2-3 years or something of the residency, publish a few papers...I might end up just getting a post-DVM PhD. So...I'd be Maren Bell Jones DVM PhD MA BA. Blah blah blah...But before I that far into it, I want to see the salary breakdown for all that schooling. Afterall, Cesar Millan makes something like $800 an hour per consultation (or so I heard) and I'm pretty sure he never made it to college. Then again, I don't have his shining white teeth and nice body in those wet suits either. :roll: :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Maren, I assume that all of the members of forums where you posted back when you were one of the little people -- I assume that they (we) will have free veterinary services for life?

\\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maren, I assume that all of the members of forums where you posted back when you were one of the little people -- I assume that they (we) will have free veterinary services for life?

\\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/
You guys aren't little people to me, though. :D But yes, absolutely, free vet services all around! ;) Well...except for Jeff, that is. \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/ He seems to forget that a good (veterinary) behaviorist is often totally different from a good trainer. They sometimes overlap, but average people these days don't want a dog with perfect heeling position for competition obedience. They just want a dog that won't drive them crazy and vice versa. That's where the money is as well. I'm a youngen (the youngest in the local Schutzhund club by probably 10-15 years or so), so I am still learning the training for sport, but I always have been a good problem solver in terms of "problem" behavior in dogs. I have yet to have a client that I couldn't help to some degree. *knocks on wood* Have saved numerous dogs from getting PTS too. That's more rewarding than the money. 8)

And thanks, Bob!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
WTG Maren! Great Job!!!! So the next time we see your name (and possible pic) in the SchH USA magazine....you'll have more titles then most of the dogs listed? :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good job. Did u have a focus in Religious studies? I *might* go for a certificate in that, since i'll be around for a super senior year but i'll have to see if i think anything other than East Asia is interesting....

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good job. Did u have a focus in Religious studies? I *might* go for a certificate in that, since i'll be around for a super senior year but i'll have to see if i think anything other than East Asia is interesting....
When I was an undergrad, I double majored in biology and religious studies, so I have two BAs. Also minored in history. Did that in four years just for fun. My emphasis was in the history of Christianity (especially early and medieval), but I took quite a few classes in Buddhism, Islam, and Native American religions. If you get a good professor for Christianity, it's really fascinating. I'm now of the opinion that Christianity (with the possible exception of Hinduism, which is arguably not one religion anyways) is probably the most diverse religion out there both in the early days and nowadays. Check out some of the stuff by the early gnostics and some of the medieval mystics if you like a crossover into Eastern Asian religion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts