Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone (besides myself), have nick names for thier dogs? If you do, I would love to hear them & also I am curious as whether there is a reason or story behind the name.

My current dog is Arkane v Waldestraum. My nicknames for him when I am in a bad mood are Hurricane, PITA, Stupid Jerk Dog. When I am in a good mood his nickname is Coco Bunny (I know, eew, yuck, :eek: ,someone give me an insulin shot).

Please don't make me stand out here alone as the only weirdo. Someone else, please share. :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Thunder (GSD) is big guy, because he is the largest dog I've had in a number of years.
Pete (JRT) is psycho dog, $#!+ for brains, A$$hole, even Buddy sometimes. He fits all of the above on any one particualr day.
Ursa (Mal) is baby girl, spook. She's a sweetheart....when she's got her head on strait.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aww, those are good. I can't wait to see what name sticks to the mal as she matures.

I know you mention in another thread (can't find it now) that you don't buy in to the theory that perhaps her age & hormones are making her a bit batty, but I really think it is true. I have seen it in all of my dogs - but of course we are talking GSD's not MAL's, & all mine have been males.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
For all my dogs we have nicknames, some examples:

Anne (x dutchie): meis(je) (girl(ie), zwarte (black), doos, trut (bitch), lompie
Desi (x mal): meis, gele (yellow), belg (belgian)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Selena, those are good ones too. I especially like Doos & Lompie. By the way, how would you say "STupid Jerk" or Stupid Idiot" in Dutch? I'm thinking if I am pissed with the dog, better to say it in Dutch, that way no one really knows what I'm saying. That goes for any Dutch people too, because most likely I will murder the pronouciation!

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
stupid = stom
stupid idiot= stomme idioot
stupid jerk: not a direct translation: lullo
lul= bad name for manhood

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll call him "Lullo"! :D anyway, thanks for responding. I am going to retire for the evening. It is 2:30 AM here & my fingers are starting to ache!
Have a good week. Talk to you soon,
Sue

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought I was the only one whose dog has different names depending on my or her mood.

Reese Cup-Cup her given name
Brainless Beast when she's not listening
Gooberhead when she's not listening

and.....

Resident Idiot for when she's REALLY not listening to me! :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
you´ve a lot cooler nicknames, mine are just simple on appearance or male/female.

It is early midday here (12.38, i´m at +1 gmt) :wink:

·
Registered
528 Posts
What I call my dogs sometimes is not fit for a public forum. 8) :oops:

One of the nicer ones is SH#$head!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Jak's nicknames are:

Jakkers (Jack-urs) - No idea how that one came about
Mr. Softy - Because he wants to love on everyone he meets
Goober/Gooberhead - Because he is just plain goofy sometimes
Stupid dog - Self explanatory

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Cujo - Woof/Woofje (no real meaning, but hes a big baby :lol:), Suffert (kinda like idiot), Gekke Hond (crazy dog)

Lÿka - Meisje (lil girl), Gekke Meisje (crazy lil girl), (Gekke) Monstertje ((crazy) lil monster)

There might be a few more, I don't communicate with my dogs in English at all around the house, I grew up speaking dutch at home so it's natural to me, but I can't imagine other people I know using dutch nicknames for their dogs, the mispronunciation would probably drive me nuts alone :lol:

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. For the rest of you, come on...admit the nick names. AFter All, isn't it this pointless stuff that shows how alike we all really are?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Most of my sled dog call names are pretty short so I just stick usually with the call name. Some just got shortened even shorter - Teagan was a very bouncy puppy so she became Tigger, then Tiggy. Betty gets called "Betty Boop", Sedna gets called Seddie. I usually use nicknames when we are goofing around and playing and have no witnesses to hear me call refer to a big, sharp 85 lb dog as "Bubby" :oops: :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I will have you know these are theoretical nicknames; I do NOT actually call my dogs these names. But for the sake of conversation:

Tira: Girly,Psycho, Miss Nut, Tyranny (rare, her 'real name'), Miss Bitch.
Kali: Girlfriend, Miss Nut, Rah, Kali Rah, Kallos (means beauty in Attic Greek, refernces her "real" name, Kalliope).
Thebus: The Bus; Thebes, The Man, Bud, Buddy, Theeb.
Penelope: Lopey, Loopy Lopey, Left eye Lopey, Chicken, Chicken Heart, Pun'kin, Pun'kin Heart, Punk, Scarey.

I also have different tonalities to each of their call names; eg, I will roll the 'r' in Tira's name, to resemble a growl (not that it does anything, see her last nickname). I named each one according to their personality. Tira and Kali are short and start on harsh constanants, ending on open vowels. Penelope's name was chosen because she was so shy, she needed freeing up over all those syllables, and ends on an open vowel. Anything shorter would have sounded punishing. Thebus, well, my son named him; if I need to I draw out the first vowel in his name for motivation.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speaking of names, how is that gorgeous sable GSD sch propect of yours coming along? I believe it's the one called Tira?

·
Registered
126 Posts
She is doing fantastic; starting blind searches, and obedience in protection. I have only had soft dogs, or pets, and working a hard, driven dog is definitly an eye opener. Corrections don't faze her; she will just work through them, and load up. Thank goodness my TD and I are on the same page about her training goals, or else I would be clean out ot punch by now! Wish I had more training pics, but they all come out blurry when others take them (I'm usually the one with the camera training days).

I am, however, going to trial my pet, Thebus, in 3 weeks for the experience.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
My live in dog is also a cadaver dog and works on whistles and hand signals. When I talk to him though I call him: Muffin Bucket". His name is Jack, when I'm mad he becomes Jackass.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
David Frost said:
My live in dog is also a cadaver dog and works on whistles and hand signals. When I talk to him though I call him: Muffin Bucket". His name is Jack, when I'm mad he becomes Jackass.

DFrost
Heeheehee. I really don't believe that. But I am tempted to start calling YOU Muffin Bucket.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts