Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i m trying to change political law so that psyservice dog are financed in part by gouvernement .

to do so of course i need solid studies that prooves that is it relevant, and working well.

could you guys share me links of such studies? tx

i need scientific studies to proove the efficacy of psychiatric dog for panic attack anguish crisis, isolation

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
good luck but you won't find it for a variety of reasons, not the least is that panic attacks, anguish crisis, isolation and other terms you have not listed are not well defined, categorized or recognized as disabilities. they are personal issues that many people have tried to use to justify allowing their dog to accompany them in situations where dogs (or other animals) are not allowed. this has been the case for years and there are as many situations where this loophole has been taken advantage of. you may mean well, but the disabilities that have been recognized for decades such as blindness or deafness are much easier to train a K-9 for than the general mental health issues you are describing.

if you are serious you need to find a respected canine facility who might be given a grant to study ONE particular, well defined problem, and somehow scientifically document that a service canine is able to be trained well enough to help improve the situation

on the other hand, if you are serious about making a difference you should explore the possibility of seeking out people with problems and connecting them with a well trained dog who has the proper temperament to live with them and help them, and accept that won't mean the dog can be velcro'd to their hip 24/7. that can be done NOW and is being done

scientific studies cost BIG bucks and need political support. start making a difference NOW, in the real world, and you may eventually get the financial support you need.

as an example of how difficult this is, the last time i researched, there is still no accepted certification program for a canine to detect cancer that is recognized in the medical field, and this canine behavior HAS been the study of numerous scientific, well controlled, double blind studies

sorry this is not what you wanted to read, but good luck in whatever you do

and wherever you see a selfish clueless owner trying to claim their dog is a "certified" service animal and needs to ride on the train, plane or bus with them, tell them in a nice way....to get a life and move on.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I am guessing this was a double post. So, Ill post the same thing here. The best study so far has come out of Purdue University. It really shows how well PTSD dogs work with veterans and those suffering from PTSD. You can read more about it at the Purdue University site: How do we know service dogs help veterans with PTSD?
sounds interesting. as a Navy vet and long time trainer i'll be interested in this study. however, showing that a canine can help someone and trying to establish the necessary criteria to certify a canine to perform this service are two entirely different challenges. i hve worked with vets with PTSD and found dogs for them and it improved the QOL hugely. doing it on a full time basis would bring a lot of help where it's needed. trying to set up an actual program to somehow standardize training to certify a PTSD service dog is a whole different political mess that requires a big investment and long term strategy

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, just due to the different symptoms for every PTSD sufferer would make it impossible to create a pure standardized training regimen. The base steps are already there CGC through all the CGC stages sets the dog for their basics, but the tasks are going to be different for every handler.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I agree, just due to the different symptoms for every PTSD sufferer would make it impossible to create a pure standardized training regimen. The base steps are already there CGC through all the CGC stages sets the dog for their basics, but the tasks are going to be different for every handler.
very true
the procedures for selecting/fostering/training service dogs has been well established over many years. there has been too much abuse of the freedom of disability act (or whatever it's called) by too many people, and some who have made it a business......maybe they have good intentions but it seems to be a growing problem in some countries. it doesn't exist where i live (japan), but i also work with many americans here so i'm aware of what's going on stateside and in a few other countries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts