Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming back to work from lunch today, and I was in the left-hand lane. Traffic was somewhat backed up on the other side of the road due to the traffic light, but had started moving again. All of a sudden, this little old homeless man (well, I assume he was homeless because of where he was, and how he looked) steps out into the road not 2 car lengths ahead of me from behind a vehicle on the other side of the road. He never once looked in my direction!! I had to slam on my brakes, and I was laying on the horn, and he side-stepped and literally pushed himself away from the front of my car by putting his hand on my hood!! Then, he just kept right on crossing the road! He didn't stop, or say anything, or even look at me! He just went right on across the road in front of the car that was in the lane next to me (who had also stopped)! I've never come that close to hitting anything, person OR animal, before!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Kristen
I know how you feel. We have several local "drinkers" around here that wander the highway and will stagger out in front of you. If I am on duty, I give them a ride back to town and tell them to stay in town and if I am off duty I call them in and another officer comes out and gives them a ride. (We have no "drunk in public" law here as it would fill up our jail daily.
I usually have my Dutch or Mal with me when I am off duty and they do not like unknown passengers. Plus, I do not want them in my personal vehicle.

Nothing to get you heart pumping like someone wandering out in front of you when your driving.....YIKES!!!!! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,193 Posts
Carol, I'm just curious, are you with Rapid City? I spent some time at Ellsworth many years ago. Talk about shock. I returned from Southeast Asia to SD in the winter time. haha.

DFrost

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Carol, I'm just curious, are you with Rapid City? I spent some time at Ellsworth many years ago. Talk about shock. I returned from Southeast Asia to SD in the winter time. haha.

DFrost
No, I am with a small town force in Bennett County (we are surrounded by the Pine Ridge and Rosebud Indian Reservations. . I am reserve only right now and will be attending the academy in the fall. Then I will be a fully certified LE Officer rather than a reserve.

YUP, going from Asia to SD in winter would tend to be a shocker. I actually just got to work with the Ellsworth Military K-9 force the other day. That was pretty FUN!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.