Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, Chelsea and I saw a puppy standing by the road about a mile from our house, and I swear to you, it looked like Dom. We even stopped and went back because we were afraid he'd escaped. Wasn't him, of course, but we were very curious about the pup. :-s

Well, tonight as we were driving by, we noticed his owner out front and decided to stop. The pup is, in fact, a German Shepherd. :) Black with a little white on his chest, two white toes (on the back, though), big bones... The guy couldn't believe the similarities (we had Dom with us).

Here's the thing, though. We guessed his age to be about 14 or 15 weeks. He was obviously a little younger than Dom, but he was pretty much Dom's height and heavier...looks like they feed him VERY well.

He's 9 weeks old. 9 weeks. :eek: And he's the size of our 4 month old pup (who isn't a runt by any means) and probably 5lbs heavier. No joke.

The guy said he got the pup from a breeder in Selma, NC. "Mother was white, father was brindle...you know...black and tan, and 150lbs." ](*,)

HOLY S*** is all I have to say. Can we say TOO big? His paws weren't really bigger than Dom's, but MY GOD.

Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Alicia Mertz said:
Last week, Chelsea and I saw a puppy standing by the road about a mile from our house, and I swear to you, it looked like Dom. We even stopped and went back because we were afraid he'd escaped. Wasn't him, of course, but we were very curious about the pup. :-s

Well, tonight as we were driving by, we noticed his owner out front and decided to stop. The pup is, in fact, a German Shepherd. :) Black with a little white on his chest, two white toes (on the back, though), big bones... The guy couldn't believe the similarities (we had Dom with us).

Here's the thing, though. We guessed his age to be about 14 or 15 weeks. He was obviously a little younger than Dom, but he was pretty much Dom's height and heavier...looks like they feed him VERY well.

He's 9 weeks old. 9 weeks. :eek: And he's the size of our 4 month old pup (who isn't a runt by any means) and probably 5lbs heavier. No joke.

The guy said he got the pup from a breeder in Selma, NC. "Mother was white, father was brindle...you know...black and tan, and 150lbs." ](*,)

HOLY S*** is all I have to say. Can we say TOO big? His paws weren't really bigger than Dom's, but MY GOD.

Just thought I'd share.
Who wants to take bets about the hip condition of THIS boy??????

There is such a thing as too big. 150 lbs is it (Iprobably past it). The white concerns me, too. This "breeder" is not only breeding a dog WAY too big for standard, but also breeding a white (and to a black and tan no less -- or "brindle" as this person says).

Aye me, Alicia...I'm not sure I could have ketp my big ol' mouth shut...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bo and Reba's last litter (the one Carbon is from) had a pup that was 33lbs at 8-1/2 wks old. We DON'T breed for big size, Dad is appx 98lbs (out of big DDR lines) and Reba is only about 80lbs (Danish-German lines) pre-pregnancy. This is the biggest litter they've ever thrown. Odd, because it's Reba's last breeding too. Carbon is average-sized (maybe a little smaller) but all of his brothers and sisters were absolute monsters! It's almost like you're looking at 2 different litters when you get them all together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts