Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kelpie mix (I don't know mixed with what, she might even be pure kelpie, but she looks just a little off), and I am trying to get a feel for how to manage her in the heat. I want her to be my running buddy, but she seems to be a total wuss. If it's over 75 she's dragging behind, and trying to lie down in every shady spot. Most of the specific advice I can find says that you should use caution, run your dog early or after the sun goes down, don't go out if it's over 80, and stop if they are panting excessively (what is excessively?)

I have read online that this breed was meant to herd sheep in Australia, and that they would be fine with long hours in high temperatures. It seems like it just can't be right that the dog can't handle a 2 mile jog when it's 80 degrees out, but all of the feedback I can find anywhere else is trying to convince me I'm going to give the dog heat stroke. I think she's just lazy and I haven't done a good enough job of informing her that she's not in charge, but I thought I would ask people who actually run sheep. My guess was that this breed would be ok with a jogging pace for hours on end, at much higher temperatures, but I don't know how sheep herding works. Do these dogs generally only run sheep in twilight hours? How much can they actually handle?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts