Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
Malinois mixed with something
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house mate has recently accepted a replacement 5 year old malinois without pappers/mixed with something. She was malnourished amongst other things but with us shes a fantastic dog. Easy to train, i love the preydrive wish it was my dog. But how much intense training/exercise can you give a 5yr old dog because she wont stop of fatigue, pain or anything if its on its on until we stop her so how much is too much?

Due to paw injuries we now, for the moment train calmer mostly tracking

· Registered
2,044 Posts
You can work her for quite a bit but would break it into sessions of 15-20-30 minutes then take a break. Good time to work on long downs and stays. It also helps to pay games that mentally exercise their brains as that can tire them out as well. Not everything needs to be physical.

Reactions: Kirsten Fitzgerald

· Registered
4 Posts
She’ll respond really really well to working with you. it’s a good bonding time. I like to work 15-20 minutes then take a break and do something fun before I start again. It helps the dog get used to being around the person, it helps them calm down so they can be confident in the process.

· Registered
32 Posts
She’ll respond really really well to working with you. it’s a good bonding time. I like to work 15-20 minutes then take a break and do something fun before I start again. It helps the dog get used to being around the person, it helps them calm down so they can be confident in the process.
My K 9 dog at 5 was still a work all day still looking for more at home we often started the day with a 12 mile bike trot then a very long hard track . Then a couple hours general obedience Finishing off the day with some apprehension training maybe a rough building search gun fire and physical combat work . Then we herded kids in he back yard playing with the hose for shower and cleaning up . Training days were long and hard on handlers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts