Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to be a PITA on Wikipedia and am editing the entry on Shiloh Shepherds. The page history is pretty funny...a bunch of people arguing for pages and pages about breed recognition. In the middle of all this what has come out is a really, really bad and biased article written by people that want to sell Shiloh Shepherds. They were making a lot of blantant exaggerations about the dog's working abilities, etc. that I'm correcting. I do not know much about Shilohs but I have never heard a reference to them being superior in working applications, as a breed.

But the whole question of size...do you all have any thoughts on the traditional size of German Shepherds, how that may or may not have changed since breed inception? I always understood the GSD to be a mid-sized dog. Shilohs average out at around 150 pounds and the breed founder claims this is in part a reflection of how her dogs in Germany "used to be."

I think this is completely off the mark--the notion that GSDs were ever bred that big or would ever be tolerated by breed wardens to be that big--but I figured I'd better ask. Links to credible weights of older dogs would be really appreciated.

Also, have any of your ever seen a Shiloh used for PSD/MWD/protection sport work? I have heard of them having herding capabilities, and are okay dogs for therapy, but never anything that involves...biting people, I guess.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Well, Shilohs are *not* German Shepherds, right?
I think it's like a big practical joke in some ways...this woman back in the 70s started breeding them to match up with the "kinds of dogs" she had back in Germany as a kid. I think she forgot that when you're a kid things LOOK bigger. :lol:

·
Banned
329 Posts
I have a big wall plak - 5 x 2 feet on my wall, I made it myself with all the first breedings, kennels and who the dogs where when the GSD was made. Or at least put together from the best. NO WAY is a true GSD supposed to be over 100 pounds. The usual for work-czek.east german lines is maybe 70-75 male, The usual for West German may be a tad heavier, and probably is just from what I have seen. All my working lines where between 60 - 70 pounds. The huge Shiloh's are too big to jump the heights, and carry their body weight into any agile performance.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I know a guy who worked a Shiloh Shepherd once... "nervey piece of shit" I believe was the phrase he used. I also know a guy who was buying a Shiloh Shepherd, but I dunno what happened because he should have had the pup by now. He shouldn't own any dog, let alone a working dog, so I just left him to his Shiloh fantasy. His girlfriend is anti-protection training anyway, "it just makes the dogs meaner". I have never met her intentionally because I know I would hate her ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts