Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Nicole and I'm pretty much a lurker. I have two dogs, a 7 year old BCx and a 6 year old Great Dane, both rescues. About two months ago, I was all set to buy a GSD pup when the Dane sort of fell into my lap. He's a little labor-intensive (read: he's a 165lb. monster with allergies, mild dog-aggression and five previous owners!) so, for awhile at least, no more dogs for me :( . My mother did SchH when I was a kid-- I'm so jealous of you folks who get to do "real" training with "functional" dogs ;).

I do OB and circus tricks with mine, just to give us something fun to do together.

I also run a residential program for high-risk teenage boys. We've had a great deal of success incorporating animal assisted therapy into our programs-- mostly EAGALA equine therapy out here, though our other locations have used dogs, cats, llamas and sheep. I'm trying to develop a more structured curriculum for canine therapy, still in the very early stages.

Thanks so much for providing this forum-- it's a fantastic resource!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Hi Nicole,
I'm sure the breeder was able to find another home for the GSD pup, but it sounds like the Great Dane has had a bad life and prospects for his future didn't look much better until you came along. I think your perspective will add yet another interesting layer to this discussion group. Welcome!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Welcome! Good things come to those who wait :) It sounds like you are doing alot of good in the mean time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts