Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined up to talk dogs... I have 3 GSD's training in personal protection (actually the 3rd is just chewing my house up with her brand new teeth). My training has been put on hold for a few months now due to various reasons and I was hoping to catch a little enthusiasm from everyone here to push me back into it.

I am new to all of this. Feeling my way in the dark pretty much. I am just a regular Jane Doe and have found it difficult in Australia to find trainers to help me. The general feel around here is that only police force or military can have the good training.

Not that there aren't good trainers over here but the general feeling I get from them is somewhat like, "Oh look! Isn't she cute she got herself a big puppy wuppy and wants to train it in protection!"

Needless to say, it became a bit discouraging. I hope that the general enthusiasm and good humor on this forum will rub off on me and help me battle back into training. I also need alot of help and knowledge!!!!

Any pointers for a newcomer?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Welcome, Bree. Lots of folks around to help out with your needs. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bree. I knew the feeling well of being "dismissed/ignored" by trainers but ya gotta be persistent. I bartered and tried to show/prove that it was just not "a passing fancy" that I seriously wanted to learn and train. I volunteered to clean kennels, run tracks, decoy and whatever (within reason) else I could do just to be around. Yeah it took awhile but it paid off in the long run. One of the hardest lessons I learned, once I got in, was to keep my mouth shut and watch :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Bree welcome, have heard that about Australia (serious training only by LEO´s and dangerous dogs signs for people with trained pets).

Hope you can find some inspiration here!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far so good.... I'm poring through all of your discussion boards. Sadly I have found a beginners page yet :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Don't be shy about asking beginner's questions about working dogs.
We're all beginners in one way or the other. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou everyone!

I finally got my courage up enough to try a few posts myself. I have a never-ending flood of questions pouring through my head. If I'm bothering anyone too much just tell me to shut up :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts