Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I could go about looking for a club or organization that does HGH style herding in my area? I'm not sure where to begin. It's just something I find interesting, and I'd like to learn more about it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Becky, yes I've been following that thread with a lot of interest. I think it would be really fun to get involved, even if Jak can't do it. He might can, though. He exhibits quite a few herding behaviors on his own, such as gripping in the right places (on Gypsy), back and forth movement when presented with a prey animal that isn't running away (Spook), and even 'crawling' type (intimidation ?) behavior when he is in close proximity to geese.

I went to high school with a girl whose family has sheep, and they have a couple of German shepherds, as well as some flock guardian dogs because their sheep are basically free range. I've thought about going over to their house and asking if I could come and watch how their dogs work and see if they might be willing to let me bring Jak to watch and see if he has the instincts. I don't know how much they know about German shepherd herding instincts, though, so I'd have to find that out first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.