Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I could go about looking for a club or organization that does HGH style herding in my area? I'm not sure where to begin. It's just something I find interesting, and I'd like to learn more about it.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Go to the Links Forum here. The post about HGH style herding is from NY area but the lady (Ellen M) could probably give you some info if you e-mail her.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Becky, yes I've been following that thread with a lot of interest. I think it would be really fun to get involved, even if Jak can't do it. He might can, though. He exhibits quite a few herding behaviors on his own, such as gripping in the right places (on Gypsy), back and forth movement when presented with a prey animal that isn't running away (Spook), and even 'crawling' type (intimidation ?) behavior when he is in close proximity to geese.

I went to high school with a girl whose family has sheep, and they have a couple of German shepherds, as well as some flock guardian dogs because their sheep are basically free range. I've thought about going over to their house and asking if I could come and watch how their dogs work and see if they might be willing to let me bring Jak to watch and see if he has the instincts. I don't know how much they know about German shepherd herding instincts, though, so I'd have to find that out first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts