Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the "results" back in from that Canine Heritage Breed Test on Zoso (the same one that Kristen did on Gypsy). I intentionally did not supply them with a photo so no cheating allowed, but apparently this:

equals this:

He didn't have a primary or secondary breed listed at all, just Bernese Mountain Dog was listed "in the mix" and that was it. What the heck?
And sorry Bob, "dingo" wasn't a breed option.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, silly me, Connie...they have the same color nose pad! And the same color on the lower half of the front legs. And two ears and a tail too! ](*,) :p

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That'd be my thoughts...I knew I wasn't going to get Belgian Malinois listed (it's not on the list, though Tervuren are), but at least give me the old GSD stand by. Maybe a Berner spit on the collection brush.

Edit: however, Kristen's Gypsy is a star! She's on the website: http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2guess.html

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You may want to consider doing the 'version 2' test when it comes out later this summer, Maren. They're adding 60 more breeds to the 38 that they can already ID. I don't know how much it will be, but being able to choose from 100 breeds vs. 38 is much better, IMO.

I had no idea Gypsy's pic was on their main page like that! How funny. :lol: I did an interview with a lady from the LA Times on Friday. Apparently they're running a story about the DNA test and contacted several people that had done it, for their story. Lastnight on the news there was a story about DNA tests for mixed breed dogs, but it wasn't about Metamorphix, I don't think. They said you could have your vet take a blood sample and send it in, and get the results in 2 weeks, but they never said anything about the company that was doing it or anything (Maybe it was Mars, Inc. - http://www.fhcrc.org/about/pubs/center_news/weekly/2007_0416_br1.html). They did 'showcase' a dog that looked like a German shepherd, with Basset legs, though. He turned out to be a Dachshund/German shepherd/Norfolk Terrier mix. I couldn't even imagine how that happened! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
LOL I wonder if Berner is just their stand by, when they don't know what the dog is. But he should have come back as Terv or GSD, at least those are close.

It would be interesting to send in 3 or 4 purebreed samples, and 3 or 4 known 2-3 generation mix breed samples. IE the lab/GSD down the street bred to the neighbors chow/rott. See if they even get some of the breeds right.

Kadi

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm reluctant to pony up any more money for this thing honestly...I'm like 99.9% sure he's a shepherd of the German and Belgian variety. No Bernese mountains for him. But that's cool about Gypsy! :)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I wouldn't want to pay any more either. They weren't even close! Maybe if you sent another letter along with a picture they would consider doing the "version 2" gratis. It wouldn't hurt to send a letter to them questioning the validity of the results.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed, Tim. I just sent them a polite but terse e-mail requesting another test as I casually mentioned that it would be a shame for me as a future vet to not refer pet owners to their site due to errors in testing... :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Agreed, Tim. I just sent them a polite but terse e-mail requesting another test as I casually mentioned that it would be a shame for me as a future vet to not refer pet owners to their site due to errors in testing... :twisted:
nice. that will hopefully get them in line. i also like david's idea of sending in various "known" mixes to see if they do any actual testing.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I know a few other people that sent in samples. We'll see if BMD comes up in their results, too. If it does, I'd be really concerned about the validity of the test, or whether the samples might be getting contaminated somehow or something.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah Jeff...the best of friends or the worst of enemies. Then again, I've been described like that myself. Frightening.

I'll post their response when and if they e-mail me back. I guess I should be thankful that I got at least something on the results? :roll:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts