Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the video of Cali's second HIAs leg online at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH4t3svrbTk

Let's just say I did MUCH better on Sunday (the day this video is from) with the commands than I did on Saturday. Saturday was bad enough the judge even felt the need to write on my scoresheet "Handler gives to many commands, and unless away means go bye, wrong commands at that" and docked me 4 points for it. I think what he meant to say is SHUT UP lady you talk to much :p

Course I made up for the reasonably correct commands Sunday by COMPLETELY forgetting to do a hold on the sheep before opening the pen. Actually I didn't totally forget, even worse I left Cali to just hold them at #5 instead of down in the corner like we were supposed to. And you can see how well that worked in the video.

But I love those sheep. They can get quite wild if the dog puts to much pressure on them, and they will break for the draw if given a chance. But if the dog works them calmly, and is ready for them to try to make a break for it, and they know the dog is ready, they are pretty willing to "play the game"

Next we are going to try ducks. I haven't worked Cali on anything with feathers yet, but that hasn't stopped her from developing a serious fascination with them. If I'd let her she'd go play with the ducks and leave the sheep to their own devises. In the video you can hear another handler giving commands, they were in the next arena over working the ducks. And Cali was having a really hard time deciding if she was going to stay and work the sheep, or try to take off and play with the ducks.

Kadi Thingvall - Dantero Malinois (S. CA)
www.dantero.com

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Really good video Kadi. Cali showed alot of restraint with the distractors of the ducks next door and she still did a fine job. I'm guessing my girl would have tormented the heck out of the sheep and then jumped the fence to do the same to the ducks. I really like your commentaries in the beginning and towards the end..refreshing to see someone able to joke about their own mistakes. I respect the fact that you train your dogs in so many venues - shows the versatility of the breed, especially the dogs from your kennels.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shows the versatility of the trainer too.
LOL Actually what it shows is that I get bored REALLY easily, and lack focus :p Have to keep the variety in my life. That's what I like about Malinois, if I wake up one day and say "let's give this a try, it looks interesting" they say "OK, I'll give it my best shot" :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts