Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Now, HERE'S a puppy!!!! This is Gordi, a Bernese Mountain dog/Great Pyrenees mix. He was exactly eight weeks old when this pic was taken at Rock City in Chattanooga, TN.
Gordi is now much taller, his coat is getting wavy and he is the sweetest thing. He shares our house with three other dogs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how many times in his lifetime do you think he'll get called a st bernard?:) he's CUTE!!!
Thanks all, for your nice comments. When we were at Rock City, almost everyone thought Gordi was a St. Bernard. Some just couldn't quite put their finger on his breed. Many people didn't know what a Bernese Mountain dog was either.
All eight pups in the litter were males and all were just as cute as the other. My husband and I drove from Orlando to Missouri to get Gordi. We decided to make a vacation out of it so we stayed in Chattanooga for a couple of days. Rock City is really neat and we enjoyed the nice, cool weather. We went there during the week so there weren't many people wandering around and I was surprised that dogs were allowed.
Gordi wasn't impressed by the place however. He refused to walk so my husband carried him!! We realized it was the new harness he didn't like but found that out after we left!!
Gordi is now all legs and his coat is getting wavy and changing colors. He is such a good boy and so lovable. I'm happy that he has the calm temperament of his parents.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I took this photo of Gordi yesterday. For some odd reason, he loves to drape himself over this foot stool. Occasionally he will stand up on it like he's the king of the mountain and pounce on one of the other dogs. Puppies are great. Too bad they can't stay this way forever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is Gordi and Sunny play fighting. If I let them, they would spend the entire day doing this but I don't want Gordi bonding too much with Sunny. Sunny is a dominant female and sometimes plays too rough. I want Gordi to bond to me so I only let these two play occasionally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

This is Gordi at the kennel where he was born. The breeders named him Hector and his siblings all had names that started with 'H'. My husband re-named him Gordon because he was born in Gordonsville, MO.
I thought at first my husband named him Gordon for Jeff Gordon and I reeeeallly didn't want that!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Poodle looking dog in the photo is a Goldendoodle. Her mother is a standard Poodle and her daddy is a red Golden Retriever. I didn't aquire my dogs from the same place. The doodle came from a breeder in Colorado and Gordi from Missouri.
You would be amazed at how many people jumped on the doodle express thinking they were going to make millions of dollars off of the sales of doodles. Reputable breeders started doing it then back yard breeders started doing it. Now, almost everything is a damn doodle!!!!
When I decided to aquire my doodle, I was looking for a dog that was intelligent, a quick learner with the spirit of the Retriever. Sunny has all of that but she is a Tasmanian Devil Dog!! She is extremely hard-headed, stubborn and catches on quickly. Nothing gets by her. She was potty trained at three months old, learned to ring a bell to go outside (which I later removed because she would ring it to go out to play), learned to open her crate and escape and much more. Even though she was conditioned to wear the Ecollar, she knows the difference no matter how many collars I put on her. She's a perfect angel when she's wearing it and a demon when she isn't!!!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
You would be amazed at how many people jumped on the doodle express thinking they were going to make millions of dollars off of the sales of doodles. Reputable breeders started doing it then back yard breeders started doing it. Now, almost everything is a damn doodle!!!!
No, no, I wouldn't be amazed at all. Those people see dollar signs and nothing more. Sorry, but I don't know a single reputable/responsible breeder who would intentionally mix pet dogs. Working Alaskan huskies and Dutch KNPV dogs, etc are one thing, pet dogs are another. Why intentionally create mutts for pets when there are so many nice shelter dogs that get PTS?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know a single reputable/responsible breeder who would intentionally mix pet dogs. Working Alaskan huskies and Dutch KNPV dogs, etc are one thing, pet dogs are another. Why intentionally create mutts for pets when there are so many nice shelter dogs that get PTS?
I'm sorry too, and I mean NO insult to the O.P., but I can't let it go by that reputable breeders are doing this.

Or at least I can't substitute the word "ethical" for "reputable" and let it stand.

I agree 100% with Maren.

But that doesn't mean that I have anything against the dog! ;) Or the owner either, who may just not look at the issue the same way I do.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Sorry, but I don't know a single reputable/responsible breeder who would intentionally mix pet dogs. Working Alaskan huskies and Dutch KNPV dogs, etc are one thing, pet dogs are another. Why intentionally create mutts for pets when there are so many nice shelter dogs that get PTS?
There is one reason for a responsible breeder to breed a hybrid - to improve the health of a failing breed - like the pug and bulldogs with pugged faces. The result is a natural breeding, natural birthing dog, with healthy conformation, drive and nice temperament. (Of course, when BYB's try to imitate, it doesn't work out so well. >:-[ )

I have a friend who breeds and if I didn't know him I would think he was a BYB. But if you send a LONG time talking to him over a few years, you find out that he breeds to only to improve the health and temperament of the breed. He is very concerned where pups go and will rescue or buy back his dogs at any time, for any reason.

When breeding for conformation is destroying entire breeds, I have little bad to say about those who breed to attempt to restore the breed to health.

Whether good or bad, the concept of the purebred dog seems to be going by the wayside. In the USA, we are so strongly influenced by AKC that we forget the THOUSANDS of dog breeds around the globe. Many are bred for function only - without regard for pedigree (think Malinois).

This is how many of our AKC breeds developed, though usually an entire breed was founded by one person, not a group of breeders. (Think Parson Jack Russel Terrier, Doberman for example).

Every continent and most countries have their own bulldog breed, their own mastiff breed, their own livestock protection dog, their own hound breed and their own pet breed. Why should we be alarmed when this trend continues?

Many dogs breeds are extinct. We should not be too surprised when new breeds become established and others near extinction. Dogs are bred to fit the needs and desires of people.

This is NOT my thoughts on BYB/puppy mill scum - which I agree is a problem. JMHO on the ebb and flow of dog breeds on a global scale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts