Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My name is Mark and I live near Oxford, England although originally I am Welsh. I am a Police Sgt on a Tactical Firearms Team (SWAT) and also do Close Protection duties on the Prime Minister and Royal Family that live nearby. I have been a Bobby for 19yrs now

We use Police Dogs on our Team on a daily basis. I own 3 Rottweilers and as rule I have made every mistake in the book with my dogs and some new ones. My interests are anything to do with Schutzhund, Ring, Service Dogs. Next week (January 7th) I am doing my very first BH and I'm very nervous.

I am here to learn and share and synpathise.

All the Best

Mark

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mark. Best of luck obtaining BH title. Even some of the most elite handlers who have gone to world competitions admit to still getting nervous prior to taking the field. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Mark, welcome. Not many taffy's (if I remember that is right?)on this forum. I have some contact in the Schutzhund in the UK, I'll check and forward them to you so you can contact them.

All the best with your BH.

Robert

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Mark and welcome! I'm new here too, and also an enthusiastic newbie to Schutzhund sport. Good luck with your BH!!

I'll never forget some of the "words of wisdom" I heard in the spring of 2004. At that time, I was a "conformation only" kind of gal, but Steve Beal (some of you probably know him) was at our home helping a couple of other people get ready for their first trials. LOL - I was running around behind him like a tape recording device! As people were nervously asking him questions about the pending first trials, he said 2 things that I have never forgotten:

1) Anyone who has never failed a trial hasn't trialed much.

2) You learn more about your dog and yourself from the trials you fail than the ones you pass.

Not that you go to the field expecting to fail, but I just found those words from a more experienced person very encouraging, and enlightening.

Welcome and good luck!

Beth

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Mark Horne said:
Hi All,

My name is Mark and I live near Oxford, England although originally I am Welsh. I am a Police Sgt on a Tactical Firearms Team (SWAT) and also do Close Protection duties on the Prime Minister and Royal Family that live nearby. I have been a Bobby for 19yrs now

We use Police Dogs on our Team on a daily basis. I own 3 Rottweilers and as rule I have made every mistake in the book with my dogs and some new ones. My interests are anything to do with Schutzhund, Ring, Service Dogs. Next week (January 7th) I am doing my very first BH and I'm very nervous.

I am here to learn and share and synpathise.

All the Best

Mark
Welcome, Mark! We are fortunate enough to have several law enforcement officers on our forum.

That is so exciting, doing your BH. Good luck! =D>

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Mark,

Assume you are trialling at Birmingham? What are the lines of your Rotts? I have a young Rottie bitch that I am training at Romlet OG for her BH later on this year and I bet I have made more training cock-ups than you! :D

Anyway, best of luck and I'll be looking for your name on the BSA site - it will be good to see another Rott working.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Passed my BH on Saturday!

It didn't stop raining, my nerves were a bit of a problem and my bitch picked up on it. Big learning curve though. Most of the errors were down to me and the dog only made one real error which was quickly corrected.

I was surprised at how tough the character tests were. The judge was tough but fair. I thought it was the end of the world when I heard my critique at the end in front of the crowd.....but I now know it sounds bad but it's the same for many of us.

Ian, my bitch is out of Biko vom Herrenholz and Eylauerhofs Gila, she is now 15mths. I have only been training 8 weeks in Schutzhund, certainly a good experience, but I'm looking at taking about 15mths before we take the Sch.1. Top Tip; Obedience is very important.

Thanks for all your support.

Mark

·
Registered
286 Posts
Congratulations Mark.
A great effort in such a short time. If we could just trust our dogs a bit more we'd do a lot better :p , us human tend to complicate things. :roll:

Robert

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Nice job, Mark! Having only been to one trial so far, I think only 1 out of 4 of the dogs passed, so yes, well done!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well done Mark (and of course to your young bitch). The weather really was terrible all weekend - I'm surprised you didn't need a snorkel. I'm sure you enjoyed it once it was over! You have done especially well with the limited amount of time you have trained for it, although I'm sure you have been doing plenty of other training.

I recognise your bitch's breeding - one of Kurt's I believe.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts