Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
Well Justin finnally got me to join this site. Well, a little about me. I spent 3 years in the U.S. Army as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech. After that I spent 5 1/2 years at the Onslow County Sheriff's Office (10 months as a detention officer, the rest as a deputy). In September 0f 2000 I went back to bomb disposal for various civilian companies subcontracting for the goverment. In October of 2003 I took a contract in Iraq. On the 26th of July 2004 I was involved in a vehicle roll over where I was shipped back to the states in a coma. After I was released from the hospital I looked my buddy Justin up. I had done some dog training with him in the past when we both worked for the Onslow County Sheriff's Office. Justin and our friend Randy where training their dogs up. I saw how they got the dogs working and I started woundering how they did it. I started decoying for Justins dogs since at the time I didn't have one of my own to handle. It was no easey task since I had to deal with my injuries from Iraq and physical therepy. I was not able to rejoin my team back in Iraq due to the limitations the doctors put on me so I had to test for vocational rehab. One of the things that came up was dog training. I enrolled at Tarheel Canine Academy in Sanford NC. run by Jerry Bradshaw. I am taking the 12 week Police K-9 instructors course. During my training I bought my first working dog Reaper. He had been started in his narcotics work and trailing. He did not have the nerves for serious bite work. I then bought my second working dog Grim from Jerry Bradshaw. He is an import from Slovakia. He is a titled and registered solid black GSD. He is a full service K-9. I have my handlers course with him stating on the 11th of June. Grim has been back to Jerry's twice for being to aggressive. Since I've had him he's been one of the best dogs I've seen. He's not aggressive But, protective. There is nothing wrong with the dog. Jerry told me he would not sell him to me unless he thought I could handle him. He would protect me on the streets or my family at home. Of course since I've been working with dogs I have learned a dog should do what it's told for 2 reasons. First because it was told to do something and second because he wants to do it. If you have a good bond with your dog it will do both. Now me and Justin are waiting for our buddy Steve to move here from ILL. so we can get some ass kickers turned out. Well that's me. Take care everyone and I hope to hear from anyone with some good advice.

·
Registered
705 Posts
welcome mike. cant wait to get things rolling. now just get that back better!!! see you in a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is always something going on and the conversations can be both interesting and a learning experience. Look forward to you input.

DFrost

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey lacey,
I just watched little mans video. He's a little ass kicker. I can't wait to see him when he's full grown. He's going to hit fast & hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts