Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to Everyone I am very excited to be a member of this forum. I am here to learn from the collective wealth of knowledge and experience on this board. I have been working with Mallinois in one area or another for 9 years now. My first working lines dog Ruger is 2 1/2 now and we worked real hard doing Wilderness SAR where he excelled as an area search dog. Now that I've relocated to Augusta I have been blessed to find one of the best dog clubs I've come across. Thanks to Jerry and Jay Lyda, Amber Scott and the other members of the CSRA and Quality k9 concepts for taking me in and training me. Now I've become involved in PPD and APPDA and I'm really excited about this new venue. I love everything dogs and working with them in anything. I also have a 1 year old minature (jk) mal male, Maza (he's 40 lbs) and a 2 yo female rescue Mali. The older I get and the more I learn about dogs the more I realize I have so much more to learn to know anything at all.

Maza the yellow jacket

Ruger working SAR

Mali the rescue this pic you can see her bullet hole on her ear

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Welcome Rebecca, must be an interesting story behind the ear with the bullet hole. Hope you enjoy the forum. There are many oppurtunities to provide input and learn, nearly every day. On another note, when you are ready to send me tickets to next years Masters, I'll provide my address.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
welcome to the forum!! Looks like Maza has the right idea: lay around on the couch while the guy goes out into the cold and scary woods :) and we would like to hear the "bullet hole" story sometime...i think...maybe not....

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Did you buy that couch just cause the colors go so well with Maza's coat? Did you post that picture to prove that Malis do sleep (contrary to popular opinion) (welcome to the forum).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah the bullet hole story is miserable and so is her rescue story. She was seized in a drug raid in Florida (Miami Dade) most likely used as a fence dog (she's all defense never seen a sleeve before) and while being held for the case to be finished and then euthanized she was shot through the ear by a neighbor who was mad at the private shelter's barking dogs. I always thought she was lucky it only got the tip of her ear and that only the tip had to be taken by a vet when it became infected. She's been broken but I will give her the best quality home and life as a pet. My little guy is super nervy, quick, and is pet quality only. So I feel that the three are all completely different in drives and temperment so I've learned a lot. I'm still stunned at the cruelty of people in regards to dogs. I know that I can't save them all either and somebody in my house (two uneutured boys and she is not spayed) is going to get altered asap because of her story and I"m maxed out. I've had up to six at one time or another due to rescue and wow it's a lot of work. I love the bite suit and personal protection work and want to concentrate on that for awhile. Again thanks for the warm welcome I'm glad to be here!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hahaha that is really funny! I didn't get the couch to match but it has become a dog couch for sure! My oldest isn't allowed on anything and that's not fair! Ok so here's proof that 4 mals can sleep at once..(these were her two pups I took in also)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah the bullet hole story is miserable and so is her rescue story. She was seized in a drug raid in Florida (Miami Dade) most likely used as a fence dog (she's all defense never seen a sleeve before) and while being held for the case to be finished and then euthanized she was shot through the ear by a neighbor who was mad at the private shelter's barking dogs. I always thought she was lucky it only got the tip of her ear and that only the tip had to be taken by a vet when it became infected. She's been broken but I will give her the best quality home and life as a pet. My little guy is super nervy, quick, and is pet quality only. So I feel that the three are all completely different in drives and temperment so I've learned a lot. I'm still stunned at the cruelty of people in regards to dogs. I know that I can't save them all either and somebody in my house (two uneutured boys and she is not spayed) is going to get altered asap because of her story and I"m maxed out. I've had up to six at one time or another due to rescue and wow it's a lot of work. I love the bite suit and personal protection work and want to concentrate on that for awhile. Again thanks for the warm welcome I'm glad to be here!
It never ceases to amaze me, either.

Good luck with the PP work and, again, welcome!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Now Rebecca..........I thought you liked us? Just kidding cause I know you like me BETTER than the others here in Augusta. Glad you came on board in this forum, you'll love it.

Ruger is going to make you proud, just wait and see. Jay had bruses all over from him.

Folks let me tell you what Rebecca did. I'm setting on the ground minding my own business and Rebecca brought Ruger up from behind me and gave him a command. I must say that I had NEVER heard this command given. She said( now picture this in your minds eye) ready now, this is what she said,"give him kisses" I thought this dog had to be French, spit, spit, wipe, wipe. I thought he was in LOVE with me.

Rebecca you're a good sport and we're glad to have you here and in our club. You go Girl

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hahahahaha Jerry that's what you get for sitting on the ground!! Thank you Jerry for everything..from the great welcome, giving blood for Maza, and even to always having so much knowledge and insight in training advice. I do appreciate it all! Jay has taught me and Ruger so much, he is a natural and I know the importance of a awesome decoy thanks to him. Does he take Margaritas for bruises too? I'm feeling lucky to be part of such a great group of people. I miss SAR terribly but taking Ruger into what we're working on has really got me excited about the future. Umm I was reading the doodle bug thread and are you breeding the boston's again? I'd love to do bite work with one of those!!!!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
So she was neglected by an asshole druggie, shot by an asshole neighbor to the dog jail AND she had puppies??? Wow, I'm sure glad she ended up in your hands. After her past she must think she died and went to heaven. Were the puppies all malinois or mixes? How did they turn out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kristen thanks I saw Turk on the ASR video I can't wait to meet you both after all this time. I'm excited to be here so much knowledge and nice people! As far as Mali goes she was kenneled with the male seized in the drug raid and although the unoffical word is they were both imports from Holland she is now without papers (wasn't suppose to even live). She had the puppies and got pregnant while in the kennel filled with feces and 8 survived. She had two blue malinois (freaky looking things if you ask me) one was a umm cinnamon blue (not sure on these coat names) with green eyes. He was a huge boy too, already at 10 weeks 22 lbs. That litter took a huge toll on her and the hellish life she was in. I loved her pups though they mostly went to Police homes because of the awesome drives w/dark red coloring. In fact someone offered 10K for that blue puppy (YUCK). Ok not trying to vent here...they also wanted this girl for breeding (not gonna happen) and a few to use for fighting (the audacity). So I'm kinda protective of her now ;) . Today I was shocked when she finnally chased a ball, got it, and brought it back to me!!! Talk about project dog hahaha but it was a huge triumph because when I got her I could touch her and she would fall over. She is super sweet after all she's been through and great with kids. I seem to get the malinois that don't fit the mold. Every single one has been different maybe others could enlighten me from experience.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, what a story.
Shes definitely lucky to have you.
I'm sure we'll meet eventually. I know a couple folks from the CSRA club were thinking of attending the PSA trial in Sept in SC, if you're going to be there you'll definitely see me. I plan to trial Gator.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Kristina, I've been trying to talk Rebecca into going to the PSA trial...

Good to see you here, girl.

I think those two mali puppies would've been nice in a working home. the female particularly - only ten weeks old, she had nice drive and was SO environmentally ON! I liked her a lot. (My husband said NO WAY.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts