Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Brian and I am from San Diego. I own 2 Pit Bulls one is retired and my male is a sporting dog. We currently compete in Dock jumping, weight pull and Flyball. I am here to learn any new training methods, conditioning, and to make new friends. Here are a few pictures of Maximus enjoying himself

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow. That's...wow.

Welcome to the forum. :) I look forward to seeing more pictures.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oh wow, the dock diving looks like fun. Great Pics! Welcome!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Welcome! I like the first picture. Can you explain what's going on in that one? Looks like dock diving meets the flying trapeze. ;-)

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Welcome Brian. Dock diving just fascinates me. It may well be what I get involved in when I retire from my current job.

Hope you enjoy the site.

DFrost

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first picture is a fairly new sport called extreme vertical and it extends 8' out over the water and goes up in height from there. Maximus personal best is 6'2" and the world record right now is at 7'8" held by a greyhound coonhound mix and also holds the world record distance of 28'10". Maximus best in distance is 21'11".

Maximus came back from a BYB. He is UKC registered and that is about it. I didn't know any better at the time but I have no regrets, but I do know better now in what to look for in my next dog.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
The first picture is a fairly new sport called extreme vertical and it extends 8' out over the water and goes up in height from there. Maximus personal best is 6'2" and the world record right now is at 7'8" held by a greyhound coonhound mix and also holds the world record distance of 28'10". Maximus best in distance is 21'11".

Maximus came back from a BYB. He is UKC registered and that is about it. I didn't know any better at the time but I have no regrets, but I do know better now in what to look for in my next dog.
That sport looks GREAT to me!

What would you look for in a dog to do that kind of athletics? Is there any particular breed that dominates the sport?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Labs dominate the sport but it is also the number 1 breed in the sport. Bordie Collies seem to up and coming in the sport and I think Belgian Malinois would up excellent in this sport as I have seen a few an they are outstanding, but most BM owners do every sport in the book so they don't concentrate on excelling in the sport. The west coast EV record is actually held by a BM/ BC mix at 7'4" an this dog may take the record but in competition you need another dog to take you up there or the comp. is over and most good dogs will only get up to 6'10" which is pretty up there and than the winner has one chance to set a new personal best at any height they choose, but in this sport you can't just bump up the height in large increments it has to be gradual so the dog can adjust. it is pretty exciting to watch.

Well here is a video from this past weekend at a comp. in Stockton Ca. This is stryker the BM/BC mix grabbing 7'4"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNPHs42l18

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Brian, my dog heard that video and is now very interested. :lol:

Neat sport and a beautiful terrier you have there.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Very cool! I watch the Incredible Dog Challenge Dock Diving every year at Purina farms here near St. Louis.
It's a blast!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts