Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lurking for some time now I figured it was about time for the required introduction :)

My name is Jessica Fry and I live in Amsterdam (Netherlands) with my BF and two dogs. Both dogs are pets, but the youngest (Stefan, a Malinois x Appenzeller cross, no I'd never seen one either) gets to have a small taste of KNPV work every now and then. He's not suitable for the sport due to his past (he was a rescue), but he enjoys 'playing' with a sleeve every now and then and is learning how to search for small metal objects. I fell in love with KNPV the first time I attended a training session and am now in the process of learning from some very experienced trainers here at home and I hope to learn more through participating on this forum.

I came into contact with KNPV through my BF, who last year decided to return to the sport after a 2 year break. Although he hasn't had the opportunity to train his own dog yet, he's been a decoy/helper for various KNPV clubs in and around Amsterdam for the past 8 years. Right now he's the club helper at PHDC Insulinde and he hopes to pass his official KNPV helper-exam soon so he can decoy at official competitions and keuring.

(For those of you interested, pictures can be seen at www.phv-insulinde.nl , click on his picture (Mark van Honschoten) or "foto's". Note: you might want to turn the volume on your PC down before accessing the site :wink:)

Mark is planning to get his first dog as soon as we move to a better location. Right now we're in a 2nd floor appartment in the middle of the city with 2 dogs already... not the best place to keep a working dog. I'd love to train a dog of my own too, but in all fairness Mark has been waiting a lot longer than me and I have a lot to learn yet!

Links to some pictures of Stefan:
Stefan: standing still for 1/10 sec.

jump! (Mark is over 6ft tall...)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Welcome. That's a cool-looking dog!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Connie: thank you :)

@Woody: thanks, now if looks were all it took.. :lol: He's a friend. And a decent guard dog too, which is a good thing in Amsterdam.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Jessica, are you American?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sort of... My father was from Chicago but my mother is dutch. I have dual citizenship and try to be a little bit of both :wink:

I grew up here in Holland though, but I hope to move to the US after grad school.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Hi Jessica, finally in I see :wink:

Jessica PMéd me on a dutch pets board, if I was the same Selena :lol: :wink:

Well being half American explains your good sentence build, there where I have some troubles.

Have fun, and we probably see you on the afdelingshelpersexamen, we will come and see it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone :D

@ Selena: yep, made it! We'll let you know as soon as we have a date & location for the helpersexamen, all support troops welcome! As for now Mark is preparing for his first 'gekeurde oefendag' (how does that translate anyway??), and looking forward to helpful feedback from the keurmeesters.

@Beth: I'll be attending MSU in Lansing MI next fall & plan to swing by Chicago to see my family. It would be great to hook up with some working dog people in the area & see what they're up to :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jessica Fry said:
Thanks everyone :D

@Beth: I'll be attending MSU in Lansing MI next fall & plan to swing by Chicago to see my family. It would be great to hook up with some working dog people in the area & see what they're up to :D
We would love to visit with you when you come to the Chicago area! (please don't tell these show line dogs about their heritage...our sofas would never be the same again...) :)

Beth

·
Registered
286 Posts
He Jessica, Welkom

From a Dutchman living in the USA to a half American :wink: living in Mokum.
I was born and raised in Amsterdam, born in the Nieuwmarkt buurt (Monniken Straat) and grew up in West. I still don't know how we used to keep a shepherd on the 3rd floor, without space to move. I am spoiled now.
Enjoy this forum, it won't be long and we'll have a dutch section :lol: (all Selena's fault, she got most of us in here I think).

Gr Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts