Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, some history. Havok's original owner owned a number of dogs, various ages. When Havok was 5-6 months old, 3 of his owners adult dogs attacked him and did their best to dismember him. When James found them, one had him by the head, one had him by the mid-section, and one had him by the back leg. In addition to various cuts all over, they had partially severed both ears, torn his rib cage away from his sternum, punctured a lung, peeled most of the muscle away from the ribs, and torn up his back leg. His owner wrapped him in a towel and headed for the vets, about 30 minutes away. They were actually able to put him back together, and the only outward sign of injury is a notch missing from one ear. And the other ear, when he gets really alert, starts to tip over the top of his head.

Internally though is another matter. I had Havok in for his OFA xrays yesterday, and also general "all over xrays" to see how well things were put together, and how they had healed.

The photos aren't great, I took them with my cell phone of the xrays, but you can still make everything out.

Close up of his sternum, taken when he was laying on his back

Another chest xray, taken while Havok was laying on his side

Hip xray, showing what the vet thinks is either calcification from the bone being damaged/broken, or "material" formed from the muscle being ripped away then reattaching. Or both.

A close up of the calcification

This dog amazes me. He's held together with duct tape and bailing twine (not literally LOL) and he still jumps like a gazelle, is social with other dogs, and just doesn't seem to show any real fallout from what he went through.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good grief Kadi.....I think he's probably just glad to be alive!!! Now I really can appreciate those photos of him jumping like a gazelle! The guys got a lot of heart! That alone can carry him far.

Debbie

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Poor guy, it is amazing he jumps as well as he does! From my time shadowing various vets in preparation for vet school, it is really amazing how they can recover. Can't keep a good dog down!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts