Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - I got lots of good info to use off of the digital camera thread. I would welcome any comments or input on handheld two-way radios. There seems to be alot of variance in the capabilities of some of them. The ones I owned previously(and killed :oops: ) were ok for line of sight but pretty much useless for anything much past that. I have used others that seemed to have a little more oomph to them. I need them to operate in cold temps.
Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I will ask my friend what he bought, they were like $60 on sale from $80 at Bass Pro Shops for a pair of 2, he bought them to use on a cruise ship when he took his vacation 2 or 3 months ago, he had 4 adults and 2 kids he was trying to keep in touch with n he said the radios worked exceptionally well. There's definately no line of sight on a 10+ story disney cruise ship :lol:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
There's definately no line of sight on a 10+ story disney cruise ship :lol:
I am pretty sure that I would see hell directly in my line of sight. A Disney Cruise ship sounds horrible. People dressed as animals, screaming kids, and a nice cholera outbreak thrown in for good measure.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
They really enjoy their disney cruises actually, that's the 2nd they've been on, n this time they took the wife's parents as babysitters lol. There's adult only areas, teen only areas n lotsa kid activities n stuff. I don't think I would do well with a cruise, I would get antsy being away from technology and freedom.... not like I can change my mind and go home halfway thru the cruise :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Mike Schoonbrood said:
There's definately no line of sight on a 10+ story disney cruise ship :lol:
I am pretty sure that I would see hell directly in my line of sight. A Disney Cruise ship sounds horrible. People dressed as animals, screaming kids, and a nice cholera outbreak thrown in for good measure.
:-k Seem like your were receintlyat a hotel convention with people dressed as animals.
I don't recall any comments about Disney though. :lol:

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
You probably want to check the laws in Canada

FRS bands are typical of family radios and legal for anyone in the states and limited to 0.5 watts of power

GMRS radios, I think, require an FCC license (which is US usage) to use but can go up to, I believe, 50 watts of power. You can get greater distance with them and even use a repeater.

I have used FRS in training outside of line of sight and have been fine in hilly terrain up to about 1/2 mile and in malls. Experience has been disappointing in vehicles. We mainly use 5 watt VHF radios on a band we have permission to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts