Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, he's a bit old than most dogs to just be starting police work, but if he's a good dog, i'd rather have 5 years of a great dog, than 7 from a so-so dog...

so am i reading this correct? he is a blend of czech and west german working lines?

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Looks that way but don't quote me on that, not too familiar with czech lines, barely know anything about GSD lines ;) But I know the Nick grandsons I've worked n if it's the same Nick, which I assume it is, those dogs hold a grudge :lol:

You gettin a GSD now???

·
Registered
380 Posts
The czech part of the pedigree I'll leave to someone else ;) I'm not too strong on the czech dogs beside the big named dogs.
His motherline has some very nice dogs. I second what Tracy says on her Nick grand-daughter! His sire Half was a good dog, good hip production-probably Timmy's best son. Timmy didn't have very many breedings compared to his brother Troll. Also Yoschy is in there...I always had extreme drives, very strong work ethics with the dogs I owned with Yoschy-sometimes all of that drive was hard to cap. Then you have Arek, Gildo, some other nice Korbelbach dogs in there. Speaking "generally" on those dogs, they were known for their hardness, strong tracking abilities, could be somewhat stubborn. Harro, Randa Karthago-daughter of Afra, Xento Mainiche. I like the mothers pedigree, we've owned and trained dogs with those lines in our breeding program.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trish Campbell said:
The czech part of the pedigree I'll leave to someone else ;) I'm not too strong on the czech dogs beside the big named dogs.
His motherline has some very nice dogs. I second what Tracy says on her Nick grand-daughter! His sire Half was a good dog, good hip production-probably Timmy's best son. Timmy didn't have very many breedings compared to his brother Troll. Also Yoschy is in there...I always had extreme drives, very strong work ethics with the dogs I owned with Yoschy-sometimes all of that drive was hard to cap. Then you have Arek, Gildo, some other nice Korbelbach dogs in there. Speaking "generally" on those dogs, they were known for their hardness, strong tracking abilities, could be somewhat stubborn. Harro, Randa Karthago-daughter of Afra, Xento Mainiche. I like the mothers pedigree, we've owned and trained dogs with those lines in our breeding program.
wow. thanks trish and all others who commented. i knew i could get some info on this guy here.

jerry, to answer your question....i have only seen the dog track, some light OB, and a few bites on the sleeve (i took a few from him). his tracking looked nice. of course it was the SchH step for step stuff that doesn't really work all that well on hard surfaces, but he should transition to trailing nicely. his OB looked good (like it should for a SchH2). pretty nice speed, entry in the bite. full mouth. not hectic. decent grip. this dog's had enough sleeve training, that he is pretty much focused on the sleeve right now. sometime this week i'll go out there and catch him on the suit and see how he does. i really like his temperament. seems pretty level headed. i'd also like to see how he does with some civil agitation. the handler is a pretty enthusiastic guy (he has been a helper for over a year, volunteering his own time to be a chew toy, hide, etc), so i have high hopes for this team...

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry Lyda said:
Good Tim. Sounds like he's going to be a nice dog. He's teamed up with someone who don't mind getting his feet wet. Should make a nice team. Let us know how it goes on the suit.
will do. i hope to go out today and take some hits from him. i'll let you know how it goes...

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Tracy Cushway said:
I've got a Nick granddaughter and she's a tough bitch and loaded with drive. Tends to go after the helper more than the sleeve.
Yes I was gonna say, the Nick grandsons that I remember working were jerks in bitework, dogs I do not slip the sleeve to unless the handler has a leash in hand or they are guaranteed to come back at me. They were police prospects n rightfully so.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so i didn't get to catch him on the suit. TD didn't want to do that yet. i just took some more sleeve bites, saw him do some OB, we did some small area searches. the dog learns quickly and seems to have good drives. i think i could slip the sleeve on him no problem. all the schh/ipo training so he's pretty sleeve focused for now...but...what i like is that when he's on the sleeve, he's looking in my eyes and not at the sleeve. i think this dog will do fine. like most titled dogs though, i wish we could have gotten this dog green, rather than the IPO/SchH titles...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Tim Martens said:
like most titled dogs though, i wish we could have gotten this dog green, rather than the IPO/SchH titles...
Is there a general point in Sch (or other sport) development...like a dog with a Sch3, etc...where they are generally considered to focused on those abilities to successfully transition over to service dog work? This dog may not be a great example, just wondering in general. I realize this is probably variable based on the dog, just wondering if it was a big filter.

Awesome-looking dog, btw. I know that's not the primary interest here. But man I love that dog's look. Reminds me of Daryl's dogs, love 'em.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Daryl Ehret said:
I wanted to buy him, too. Wife said no :evil:
Heh. Would she even notice right now? Half of your dogs must be buried under snow drifts with the stuff you all have got lately...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.