Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we all know them and love them. Here's Carbon's growly-noise/bark for when he wants something NOW. "Ask for it" is something new I taught him to do (just for kicks) earlier today.
(BTW, I filmed this in my son's room, so that's baby clothes you see on the floor. My son loves to open the drawers of his dresser and throw things out. And you can hear him in the background screaming for his "dada" when he walked in from work)

I was holding up "chicken chips" - my little treat I make at home.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Kristen Cabe said:
How come everyone's dogs have a much lower and 'scary sounding' bark than Jak? :evil: :lol:
Oh, no, that's much lower than Pomfret's voice too. And Pomfret is an adult!

Sarah, how do you make Chicken Chips? I am always on the lookout for portable homemade 100%-meat training treats.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
My dogs liked that one :)

Oh, don't do THIS - I recorded my dogs barking by the back door to go out and play and made it my ringtone. I forgot to put it on vibrate at the office today.......... :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carbon just started this low bark a month or two ago, but the growly bark thing he's done since he was a pup.
Chicken Chips:
Take 2 or 3 chicken breasts and cut them into chunks about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long. Use a filet knife (VERY sharp one) and cut the chunks very thinly. Next, I like to let them "marinate" in sodium-free chicken broth (and any dissolvable/powdered supplements I may want to add, I added some extra calcium powder during teething) overnight in the fridge. I then preheat my broiler for about 10-15mins and put them in there for about 5 minutes to try to "seal in" the marinade. After they come out of the broiler, I make sure they're about as thin as a Ritz chip (no more than 1/8 of an inch thick) and I put them in the freezer. To make sure they don't stick (and as long as you have a big enough freezer) I like to put them in a couple 8 x 8 brownie pans so none are stacked on top of each other. I let them sit out maybe a minute before I use them.
This is only good if your dog is OK with cold things. If they go nuts over ice chips, this will be great for them. As an added bonus, you can put the leftover marinade into ice trays and make chicken broth ice cubes for them. I do this with any sort of meat juices (except pork, of course) that I get after I cook. Every Monday (right after Sunday football) Carbon and Hemi (who both will go crazy over meat ice cubes and chicken chips) get Porterhouse steak juice ice cubes. Any time I skillet-cook ground beef, and the recipe (or Hamburger Helper box, depending on how lazy I am feeling) calls for the meat to be drained, I drain it right into the ice cube trays. I probably get extra points if a few bits of ground beef fall into it while I'm draining.
I've also made chicken hot dog chips by basically frying them in the microwave. I cut them up into 2/8 inch slices, then put them all on a plate (covered with a paper towel). I then set the microwave to high and let them cook for about 5 minutes. They should be tough as beef jerky. You can put them in for longer, or stick them in the toaster oven/broiler for a bit, to make them crunchy. I prefer the toaster oven as long as it has a time setting instead of just the "toast" option.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kristen, I've used those, but for some reason they gave my GSD/Border Collie cross bad diarrhea. But he was allergic to EVERYTHING so it wouldn't suprise me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts