Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
piece of cake for Rombo ;) no running into him and no hit, and I know he was used to that

Could someone please explain to me the recall away from the suspect (tactical/practice wise)? The recall is in my eyes a moment were the dog could be hurt by a suspect:-k

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
piece of cake for Rombo ;) no running into him and no hit, and I know he was used to that

Could someone please explain to me the recall away from the suspect (tactical/practice wise)? The recall is in my eyes a moment were the dog could be hurt by a suspect:-k
i think what you are asking is why recall the dog when outted from the bite. this is to prevent re-bites. it's really just a control thing as real street bites rarely if ever go down this way. most of the time the dog is pulled off the bite by the handler who has a hold of the dog while the other cops swoop in and handcuff the guy...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sounds like and looks like you guys represented really well at the competition - WTG. Nice to see such dedication to training - especially when I know most are not paid for all the training time needed to keep a PSD "street worthy". Hats off to all of ya for making the time... between court, call-outs, family and regular duty schedule and what ever sleep your able to get in between. :)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Sounds like and looks like you guys represented really well at the competition - WTG. Nice to see such dedication to training - especially when I know most are not paid for all the training time needed to keep a PSD "street worthy". Hats off to all of ya for making the time... between court, call-outs, family and regular duty schedule and what ever sleep your able to get in between. :)
Ditto here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure why the video stopped working I will send them an e-mail and find out. Gregg and Tim did GREAT at the trials and represented themselves and thier units well. both came home with some hardware!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Joel - Thanks for posting the video and thanks for catching my pooch! Rombo thought he was back in the old country for a few moments! :)

Thanks guys for the nice comments. Joel was one of the decoys at the trial and is the one featured in Rombo's video.

Selena - Like Tim mentioned, on the street we typically move in and take the dog off the bite physically once other officers take control of the suspect. The distance call off is just to show control and is what is generally done at our police dog trials. It also looks better in front of a crowd of people that have no idea what police dogs do. I think the reasoning behind it is that if you can call your dog off from 20 meters away then you should be able to have him release the bite when you are a grabbing his collar. The general rule is if the suspect is being combative while the dog is on the bite then the handler will not take the dog off. The dog is not taken off until the suspect gives up or is handcuffed.

I think it may be similar to practicing a gaurd or transport when in reality we would not ever do either one of those.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Selena - Like Tim mentioned, on the street we typically move in and take the dog off the bite physically once other officers take control of the suspect. The distance call off is just to show control and is what is generally done at our police dog trials. It also looks better in front of a crowd of people that have no idea what police dogs do. I think the reasoning behind it is that if you can call your dog off from 20 meters away then you should be able to have him release the bite when you are a grabbing his collar. The general rule is if the suspect is being combative while the dog is on the bite then the handler will not take the dog off. The dog is not taken off until the suspect gives up or is handcuffed.

I think it may be similar to practicing a gaurd or transport when in reality we would not ever do either one of those.

Oke, the same thing here in PSD programme. Guard is behind decoy, and transport 2 m. behind suspect (in knpv programme next to decoy).
In practice dog is put on from a short distance and dog stays on till suspect is calm and handcuffed.

·
Registered
93 Posts

This was the toughest dog portion of the competition. They selected 10 dogs from the 60 dogs that had competed that day for a competition that judged the best entry (hit). Tim's dog, Camo and Rombo were among the ten that were invited to compete.

The courage portion of the trial involved Joel and Dutch Decoy/trainers, Dick van Leenen from Rotterdam and Wim van Bochove from South Holland. The scenario was a 100 meter send and the decoy attempted to disuade the dog through strong body language on the approach. When the dog got within about fifteen feet of the decoy, the decoy yelled and shot a stream of water at the dog's head. The dog lost significant points if they deveated or slowed as they got hit with the water.

Although a lot of us would have loved to see the Dutch courage test at the trial, I think a lot of handlers would have protested. I cant speak for Arizona, but in Northern California if you broke a stick on a dog during an attack the handlers would be very upset. You can barely give a dog a simple stick hit without guys complaining about it. Pretty stupid, I know. I think it is the difference in mentality between Dutch handlers and American handlers.

Hey Joel.....how about you post your video that you made a couple of years ago......its a good one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts