Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gregg.. you said:

"Next time you are at the training field, send a good dog on a long bite with the decoy running full speed. When the dog makes its entry have the decoy over exagerate the "swinging motion" and see if the dog can hang on.....actually dont try that.....I was just trying to create a scenario for dramatic effect "

My Malinois male at around 18mths, vid taken about 2yrs ago... GOOD dog, FAST dog, NICE grip .... and bonus for you... SAME DECOY AS IN THE PSA DALLAS CLIP.. and strangely enough, same guy that catches Tammy's dog.

http://odinhaus.com/vids/aircrash3.wmv

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Gregg.. you said:

"Next time you are at the training field, send a good dog on a long bite with the decoy running full speed. When the dog makes its entry have the decoy over exagerate the "swinging motion" and see if the dog can hang on.....actually dont try that.....I was just trying to create a scenario for dramatic effect "

My Malinois male at around 18mths, vid taken about 2yrs ago... GOOD dog, FAST dog, NICE grip .... and bonus for you... SAME DECOY AS IN THE PSA DALLAS CLIP.. and strangely enough, same guy that catches Tammy's dog.

hard to tell because the video doesn't show the decoy until the last second...

·
Registered
357 Posts
the spaces in there are doing something weird - you might have to copy the line and paste it in :-(

Oh, Bacchus, gsd, is now doing Mondioring (because he like the international color of it), Alex is doing schutzhund because it's the most competitive dog sport in the world.

lg

·
Registered
93 Posts

http://odinhaus.com/vids/aircrash3.wmv[/QUOTE]

Okay...first, I did not say that the decoy in Dallas was running too fast. I was refering to a California trial so please keep your facts straight. Second, and MOST important, it is my opinion that running as fast as you can toward a dog is not the safest way to test courage and no matter how many old clips you post you are not going to convince me otherwise. The fact is, running as fast as you can towards a dog does nothing but risk injury to both. If that is what you like to do........all the power to you.....knock yourself out. If that is the route PSA is going then great, have fun with that.

By the way if you actually read what I posted....I said RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN and then OVER EXAGERATE THE SWING.....Thats for those of you with old eyes. Did your decoy do both? HHHHHMMMM.....dont think so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Goodness! Calm down there soldier!! My post was in no way intended to get you all defensive and worked up! Un-wad your panties girlfriend!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Okay...first, I did not say that the decoy in Dallas was running too fast. I was refering to a California trial so please keep your facts straight. Second, and MOST important, it is my opinion that running as fast as you can toward a dog is not the safest way to test courage and no matter how many old clips you post you are not going to convince me otherwise. The fact is, running as fast as you can towards a dog does nothing but risk injury to both. If that is what you like to do........all the power to you.....knock yourself out. If that is the route PSA is going then great, have fun with that.

By the way if you actually read what I posted....I said RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN and then OVER EXAGERATE THE SWING.....Thats for those of you with old eyes. Did your decoy do both? HHHHHMMMM.....dont think so.[/QUOTE]

Talk about facts there Mr. Tiny, I don't exactly see Sammy saying that you said anything. I think she might have just been showing you what YOU mentioned. breath.......

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Just a note to remind everyone, discussions are fun, even heated ones can be entertaining. We will keep it civil and without name calling.

DFrost

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well Paul, I think I will take the high road on this one since name calling on the internet is the refuge of the weak.

I am getting tired of repeating myself (as most of you are probably getting tired of reading about it) on this issue but I think that there are some people that feel that I attacked PSA. I have been a supporter of PSA for the past five years. Our club had competed, and hosted a trial for PSA. I have no issues with the sport. However, there are some decoys in the sport that think the louder they yell and the faster they run at the dog equates to a stronger courage test. Calm down, Paul and Sammy no where did I say that is the case with your decoy. I dont know your decoy and am not going to judge him by a two minute clip.

My point was that if you look at KNPV, the courage test has a lot to do with the decoy exhibiting a presence. He does not run fast and yell constantly yet for anyone that knows what they are looking at, their decoys present themselves as a very tough adversary. It is my opinion, that they have one of the toughest courage tests out of all the sports. I think if you look at the dogs that are successful in the sport it is hard to argue that KNPV produces tough dogs. I can't say that about some of the other "competitive sports".

So, Sammy and Paul I am not going to get into a war of symantics with you but if you are going to debate one of my posts then please take the time to read them so your post is relevant to what I said or "mentioned".

·
Registered
93 Posts
Paul,

Sometimes one of the stumbling blocks on any forum is that when you read a post you can not hear the inflection in someones voice so what is read may not have been what the author intended.

Sammy's post quoted me and then she posted a video that was not relevant in regards to my post. One way or another. Then she added the "AND BONUS FOR YOU" it was the same decoy that was in the Dallas trial as if I was somehow critisizing that decoy, which I had not.

Tim stated that he did not see the decoy running as fast as he could and Sammy's reply was "Well its obvious....even my old poor eyes could see that!".

The PSA thing was what I thought your hostility was a result of. Apparently, it wasnt.

Bottom line is that I found Sammy's posts somewhat abrasive so I called her on it. Thats about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I too have found that the courage test is not safe especially for a leg dog and for the same reasons that have been stated in this conversation.So maybe you have some decoys that are safer than others I don't know..

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here's another video -- better view.

http://www.midwestringsport.com/Couragesend.MPG

I think, if the dog targets correctly - (KNPV pocket) and grips correctly...
training things -- you are fine.
I have seen schutzhund dogs, ringsport dogs... getting hurt, jammed, broken teeth all of these things too. Actually since I started in suitwork -- I have observed that a hard arm catch can be far more difficult on a fast dog.

and NO, I won't be bringing the my leg dog Goose to any PSA trials anytime soon. :)

But for those who train it correctly, it is as safe as any IMO

sincerely
lg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've read 2 post by Sammy, first one was mod edit, mod edit , mod edit, mod edit, etc. LOL. The second one is this one, i thought the video was good but Sammy seems to fire up a certain few, LOL. Welcome to the forum Sammy!!!

AL

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's another video -- better view.

http://www.midwestringsport.com/Couragesend.MPG

I think, if the dog targets correctly - (KNPV pocket) and grips correctly...
training things -- you are fine.
I have seen schutzhund dogs, ringsport dogs... getting hurt, jammed, broken teeth all of these things too. Actually since I started in suitwork -- I have observed that a hard arm catch can be far more difficult on a fast dog.

and NO, I won't be bringing the my leg dog Goose to any PSA trials anytime soon. :)

But for those who train it correctly, it is as safe as any IMO

sincerely
lg
I have seen ring dogs with broken teether/jaws, and jammed. It happens in all sports.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts