Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eldest female female has HD in her left hip. She is 6 yo, and has han only 2 acute pain episodes, both after intense exercise/jumping (before she was diagnosed). I have noticed in the last few months a bit of slowing down, a little less of a range of motion. Yeh, I know she could be just getting middle aged, but I have a feeling it is a little of both. :(

I have had her on gluc since diagnosis; 750mg for 55lb dog. I want to make sure that she is getting the max dosage for her weight. Should I up the dose? What about the dose for chondroitin? Are there max dosages for it? I forgot to ask the vet last time I was in.

Anything else anyone do for their HD dogs? Supplements, therapies? I try to swim her, but she has little prey drive and just looks at the stick and then at me and her eyes say "well, ain't you gonna get it?" So we do walks around the park, and yard play.

Also, does anyone else put their dogs on gluc even if they aren't dysplastic? What are the doses?

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I feed a natural raw diet already.

Beat ya! :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've found one great thing you can get at the vet's called Glycoflex. My fiance's parent's old Eskie has HD as well as ED and has been on Stage III for 3 years.

·
Registered
589 Posts
https://www.tahitiannoni.com/united_states/english/retail/store/subcategory/103376.html

I have my dog on the canine essentials. I started it due to a kidney disease, which with this supplement, the levels he had indicating kidney disease have, for now, stabilized. THe vet was surprised, actually, as the levels should have gone up in the month and a half I had the dog on the canine noni.

He has no other ailments (that I am aware of, including dysplasia) and seems/appears to be a very healthy dog.

By the way, I take Tahitian Noni juice everyday for myself and have experienced benefits too!

If anyone knows anything about the ingredients in the canine essentials aside from the noni fruit, please share.

Don't know as for specific glucosamine dosages. I know I use just 2 to 4 oz of the noni supplement per day.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
This is in general, not as a response to any one message:

Please don't start your dog (or yourself) on a supplement without knowing the ingredients.

I don't say this because of possibly dangerous ingredients as much as because of overlaps in ingredients that have ceilings of acceptable doses.

If we read all the ingredients, we're not as likely to oversupplement on something like, say, Vitamin A, which can be toxic in high doses.

·
Registered
632 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Here are the Canine Essentials™ Original Key Ingredients, per their site:

Noni Fruit and Blueberry Juice

DHA

Soy Lecithin

Vitamin E

END

Please note that although it doesn't have any glaring problems, and does have beneficial ingredients, it doesn't give the source of the one Omega 3 EFA (and source is important for dogs) or the amount of Vitamin E (or any ingredient), or whether the E is alpha or mixed tocopherols, or any other details. These details are lost to us in so-called proprietary formulas.

That said, there are beneficial flavonoids in the top two ingredients, and maybe in the others (if we knew amounts and sources). :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for you replies! Seems to be a flurry of questions about joint health.

I add fish oil/vita E (2000mg/200 IU, respectivly) to everyone's food. I know I could up this, but get a little leery about maxing out dosages. My dogs range in weight from 55-70lbs. I also give a general vitamin with Vit C (2000 mg) 3-4 times per week. I try not to over do the vitamins, because I feel that the natural diet covers a great deal already (and because, as Connie stated, the vitamins tend to overlap, and I don't want to risk ODing a fat soluble vitamin). But the fish oil, vita E, and gluc I use daily.

From my research, doses of glucosamine are 500mg for the first 25lbs, another 500mg for the next 25lbs; so in general 20mg/lb. Chondroitin 400mg/25lb, and so on. Sound about right?

I like the description of Acti-flex that Nancy (?) posted in another topic; there would be very little overlap between the different supplements. But the amoun would be so tiny!

Thanks everyone for you replies.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
melissa mims said:
Thanks for you replies! Seems to be a flurry of questions about joint health.

I add fish oil/vita E (2000mg/200 IU, respectivly) to everyone's food. I know I could up this, but get a little leery about maxing out dosages. My dogs range in weight from 55-70lbs. I also give a general vitamin with Vit C (2000 mg) 3-4 times per week. .....
If you mean 2000 mg. of C (2 grams), that's a big dose even for a 150-pound person. Of course C is water-soluble, but still......... What vitamin supplement has 2000 mg. of C? Or did you mean that you add C to a multi?

About the fish oil: 2 grams is good, IMHO! You could give a gram per 10 pounds of dog weight (again, for a dog in need of extra EFAs), according to some vet med articles I've read, gradually upping to that dose. But 2 grams is good for the weights you mentioned.

I give 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. (about 2 - 4 grams) distilled fish oil to my small and big dog, respectively, and that same dose of E (100 to 200 IU).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops! The dosage is for 1 tbl spoon, and I feed about half that, so about 1000mg, about 3-4 times a week. No loose stools, upset stomach.

But I have heard of doses up to 2 gms for this size range; if I am not mistaken, Leerburg suplements this for their breeders, and I have seen this dose range referenced quite a few times when I did my original research on diet. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I looked up their menus.

I use B-naturals Daily Blend, which I don't use daily. The recommended dosage on the bottle is for 1/2 tablespoon, twice a day. Which would give 2000mg per day.

ETA:finished sentence!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Per their site: One tablespoon contains Vitamin A (5000 IU), Vitamin C (2000 mg), Vitamin D (400 IU), Vitamin E (400 IU), Vitamin B Stress Formula (75 mg), Selenium (75 mg), Bioflavanoids (100 mg), Kelp (500 mg), Alfalfa (500 mg) and Beef Liver Powder

Dosage:

Large dog dose (1/2 tblsp)

Medium dog dose (1 tsp.)
END QUOTE

Personally, I would say that a 55-pound dog was medium. But it's vague in the directions. These C and A amounts are high enough to check with them about the "medium" and "large" dog definitiions. JMO! :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, and that is why I don't do the supplement thing daily, except for the ones I mentioned.
Just looked at the actural scoop in the actual bottle and it is 1 tsp. Jeesh, you would think I had all this down cold! I spent 6 months researching this and calculating for final doses. That was 2 years ago, and I have forgotten the amounts; I just scoop and pour as I originally calculated. I always erred on underdosing, figuring that the diet itself would be adequate.

So I can up the dose of gluc and chondroitin to 1000/800. Continue with the EFA's and Vita E. Moderate exercise. And keep my fingers crossed.

Anything else I can do/add to the package?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Jenni Williams said:
Just to be redundant....google Adequan.
This thread, given a few posts up in this very thread right here, is all about Adequan:
http://www.workingdogforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=618#618

And the other one I provided in the same post also addresses Adequan in detail. :lol:

Scroooooll up............ see where it says "These posts are specifically about joint health?"

Both those threads talk about Adequan.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Connie Sutherland said:
Jenni Williams said:
Just to be redundant....google Adequan.
This thread, given a few posts up in this very thread right here, is all about Adequan:
http://www.workingdogforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=618#618

And the other one I provided in the same post also addresses Adequan in detail. :lol:

Scroooooll up............ see where it says "These posts are specifically about joint health?"

Both those threads talk about Adequan.
Or.......... you could google Adequan...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
589 Posts
My apologies for not being clear in my previous post about supplements. I was trying to post quickly, which unfortunately, in this case proved to be somewhat confusing.

I give my dog the canine essentials original, which actually does not contain gluc., However, does contain Cetyl Myristoleate, please note link below, interesting information. However, the senior formula does contain glucosamine.

I verified and per 10 ml of the canine senior formula, there is not less than 30 mg of glucosamine.

I do know overall health, joint function, immunity, and focus are benefits noni fruit in and of itself is capable of aiding. I have experienced personally, and have witnessed it in my dog.

Specific Ingredients in Canine Essentials Original: (off the bottle)
Morinda Citrifolia (noni)
Water
Blueberry Juice
Safflower Oil
Soy Lecithin
Fish Oil (information is proprietary)
Flax Seed Oil
Dl-alpha Tocopheryl acetate (vit E)
Marine Microalgae Oil (source of docosahexaenoic fatty acid)
Propionic Acid (preservative)
Xanthan Gum
Cetyl Myristoleate (http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org/arthritis/cetyl-myristoleate-arthritis.html)
Sunflower Oil
Natural Mixed Tocopherols (incl. Vit C)
Rosemary Extract.

Know your ingredients, yes. However, I will openly admit, I am by no means a chemist and do not comprehend the myriad of synergistic effects. I know this supplement is working with my dog and his condition...lab results do not lie.

I hope you find the supplement/glucosamine level that is right for your dog and better yet, you get to reap the benefits of a healthy GOOD to go dog! :)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Yes, noni, like blueberries and cranberries, is loaded with flavonoids and plant sterols, which are potent anti-inflammation agents.

And this is a much better ingredients list than the web site list. It gives the source of the DHA as fish oil (good).

I don't think we have to be chemists, exactly, to gauge the benefits in a supplement, as long as we read the ingredients and make sure we have no overlap with other supplements, or with, say, fortified commercial food ---- especially of the oil-soluble vitamins.

In proprietary formulas, unless each ingredient is clearly non-toxic, even in large doses, I'd rather give each ingredient that I want to supplement separately, so I know exactly what dose I'm giving. Proprietary formulas not only don't let you know whether they contain enough of an ingredient, but also (sometimes) don't let you know whether they contain close to the maximum.

In this formula, with the details you have from the label, there's no problem like that.

In some, the amounts of glucosamine, Omega 3 EFAs, Vitamins C and A, and other ingredients are not specified. All these are supplements that have either a floor or a ceiling of beneficial amounts. Some, like Vitamin A, have both, and really can't be safely tossed into every supplement.

Thanks for that detailed list. :>)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts