Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple years, probably after I'm done with vet school and I hopefully move away from Missouri (if I'm lucky), me and Long Suffering Husband would like to buy a house. Being as though the Malinois has jumped like 10 spots on the list of most popular breeds in just a year, I suspect it could only be a matter of time before insurance companies cross them off. I could always say my half husky half Rott is a husky mix, but they are getting black listed too. Two of the three have their CGCs (would like to test the third at some point soon). Any ideas which insurance companies either allow "dangerous breeds" with CGCs or even give discounts and have reasonable premiums?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
If you have military parents on either side, or military experience in your immediate family, I highly recommend USAA. They rock.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh, good call! Yes, I have USAA for my auto insurance (from my dad who was in the Army for 22 years). So I assume they do not do any breed black listing? Any other companies?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Maren Bell Jones said:
Oooh, good call! Yes, I have USAA for my auto insurance (from my dad who was in the Army for 22 years). So I assume they do not do any breed black listing? Any other companies?
They've never asked me and I've never told them. I am not aware of any dog policy stuff. They'll do the free quotes and stuff easily, just call them and get a quote as it is. I love USAA.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
My oldest daughter has a white pit with natural ears that are spotted black. She told her insurance man that Spirit was a Dalmation rescue.
I'll take my chances with a good Pit over a Dal anyday but the insurance companies don't see it the same.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard of some people dealing with their insurance companies that they want specific mixes, not just a generic mixed breed. :roll: As I don't own yet, I don't know how this works, but do they do inspections of the property? If you made a claim for something, even something totally unrelated, if the agent saw the dog and thought you were full of it, would get dropped for fraud? :?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Maren Bell Jones said:
I've heard of some people dealing with their insurance companies that they want specific mixes, not just a generic mixed breed. :roll: As I don't own yet, I don't know how this works, but do they do inspections of the property? If you made a claim for something, even something totally unrelated, if the agent saw the dog and thought you were full of it, would get dropped for fraud? :?
Easy solution--have your dog attack and kill the agent. Dead men tell no tales.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The only things I have had an insurance agent come and inspect is when I have said I had a woodstove or something. Seeing some of the "mislabeling" of dogs I have seen coming from pounds - I think you are off the hook. It's your word against theirs - how are you supposed to know you don't have a labradoodle, and Ibizan cross and a sheltie mix? :wink: In alot of mixed breeds it more of a "Heinz 57" situation anyways.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I also have USAA who insures all of my vehicles, homeowners and business insurance. I have a boarding kennel, they cover that, any potential dog-related "accidents" including hit by car, death of dog, dog bite, and people coming in/out who might slip and break their leg or etc - also obedience classes. If you're affiliated at all with the military they are the ones to go with. The other insurance company that I think is 'good with dogs' is State Farm.

molly

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just in case there are folks out there who can't use USAA, any other relatively breed friendly companies out there besides State Farm?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Just as an FYI that's off-topic, if you are not military you cannot get insurance products from USAA, but you can get banking services from them. And they are awesome, even the benefits of the checking accounts are almost too good to be true. Great company, best customer service I have ever really encountered in a big company, and you save insane amounts of money with them.

www.usaa.com

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
This is a good topic. I agree with those who say mixed breed. In my case, I tell them my GSD is my service dog. If you read the Americans with Disabilites act, you will see that your dog DOES NOT have to be licensed as a service dog. Also, it is against the law for your carrier to ask what you need the dog for, or what your disability is. Another tid bit is once you find an insurace carrier willing to write the risk, stick with them as long as possible. People who shop their ins cov every year have a harder time than those who have stuck with their carrier & consequently built a good history.

·
Registered
497 Posts
State Farm Insurance does not exclude any breed from homeowners liability coverage. They also don't underwrite based on breed, so you don't have to worry about penalties for specific kinds of dogs, everyone pays the same rates.

Depending on where you live, you might run into problems with agent bias against certain dog breeds. If the agent is a turd, all you usually have to do is call the area manager and have them straghten them out. I had to do this with my APBT when I was shopping for renters insurance.

edit: I think there may be exceptions/problems concerning insurability in BSL areas.

Andy.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
susan tuck said:
People who shop their ins cov every year have a harder time than those who have stuck with their carrier & consequently built a good history.
I've heard some online horror stories of people with boxers and Dalmations (not just the typical big scary dogs, but ones who are making the black listed breed list as well) getting dropped from their carrier, even after years of loyal payment.

I found a link that might be helpful to others if you cannot use USAA:

http://www.mprgroup.net/misc/insurance.html

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Maren, Usually they get dropped for other reasons like claims, or a change in underwriting status. Most carriers only ask about dogs when initially underwriting the risk, almost never on subsequent renewals.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
My daughter was never asked. It wasn't until the agent came to the house for a totally different reason and saw the dog.er him.
He had no clue what he was looking at, only that this friendly dog was climbing all over him to get petted.
This was after he told the daughter that he liked dogs.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
That's the best scenario, Bob! For the last couple of years I have noticed ins carriers are not as quick as they once were to jump on the bandwagon of excluding certain breeds. Let's all hope this continues. In California there used to be a "1 free bite rule". If your dog bit someone, the carrier would continue your coverage (depending on the circumstances, of course), then if the dog bit a second time, the animal wuld be excluded from liability coverage. The exclusion was challenged & did not hold up in court, so the carriers then had to discontinue that practice & automatically non-renew the policy following the 1st bite (again, depending on the circumstances).

Oh Maren, as far as the inspections go, tell your agent you need the inspector to make an appointment. That way, you can have all your ducks (or dogs) in a row before the inspector arrives. And yes, your policy can be considered null & void if you are caught in a lie. This is why half truths are a good thing!!! For instance, call your dogs mutts! No one is going to ask you what kind of mutt.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I use Nationwide for home, auto.....they have breed exemptions I'm sure, but GSDs are not one of them. It may vary from state to state as well. I'm in Connecticut. You will have to look into it when the time comes. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts